Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

What the best way to kill fleas on my mattress?

By DCDC from NJ

I use eucalyptus stems to keep fleas out of the bedroom. I put eucalyptus stems, available at any craft store or floral store, even at Walmart, You put a stem under your bureaus, in your closet bottom, and on the top shelf of your closet, under the sheets of your bed for the day and then remove at night, replacing in the daytime again. Fleas hate Eucalyptus' smell! Of course, for a bad infestation, you need to use chemicals and be rid of the infested mattress.

'Fleas' on a mattress are most likely bed bugs and in that case I suggest you call a professional for help. There is currently a worldwide resurgence of bedbug infestation. They are not easy to get rid of completely on your own. I would also Google something like 'how to protect yourself from bed bugs' and/or 'how do bedbugs spread' so that you don't get the problem again once you get rid of them.

December 20, 2010 Flag

I bought a mattress and it is in my garage to be put in the room. The mattress is like new from a home sale, but it has fleas! I do not know what is safe to use or even what to use to get rid of them. Any ideas? Please help. I need it for company soon.

By John from Eugene, OR

Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

I'd get some diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it all over the mattress, on all sides. I'd leave it there for several days (or maybe until you need to get the bed ready for company), then vacuum thoroughly. I found some at Lowe's a few years ago. Apparently a form of diatomaceous earth is used for swimming pools. I read NOT to use that kind, because it's been changed and won't kill the bugs, and is harmful to people.

You can search here on ThriftyFun for "diatomaceous earth" to see others' experiences, or do a Google search to learn more about diatomaceous earth. Best of luck getting rid of the fleas. I know that it's no fun! (05/24/2010)

By mrs.story

Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

Salt, salt water spray, and Sunlight Dish soap. I have used all 3 on pets and carpet, and the fleas are dead! (05/25/2010)

By Flintmoonwitch

Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

Borax powder will kill fleas. (05/26/2010)

By Merlene

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasDecember 20, 2010
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Dog Scratching at Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding