Puppy is Pooping in Cage

My Staffy poops in her cage. My puppy is 15 weeks old and is being trained via a cage. The cage is a large one and I'm wondering if it's too big. She was doing really well pooping and peeing outside. But then, last week she had her injection (because previous owners hadn't vaccinated her) and her vet check. We were told she was slightly thin. We upped her food and since then she has gone backwards and she's pooping in her cage now. Please help us as we are unsure of to what to do.

Michelle from Bristol

Hi,

Does your cage have a divider? You need to only give the dog enough room to lay down in. Don't keep food in the crate, only water. If you give the dog too much room, they will use the free space to poop and pee in. But if you only give them room for themselves, they will not do any 'business' where they have to lay. Dogs hate laying in their 'business'.

Do this, and also make sure to take the puppy out every hour and after feeding time -when they are in the crate and out- and begin to increase it as he/she gets older.

Sorry, I would love to get hold of the idiot who started this dog-in-cage nonsense.  The only thing a cage is good for is being covered with a blanket and taking the door off so a dog can come and go in a "hidey" plce -like a den.  The dog is likely in the cage for far too long, and is in despair or protesting.  My dog will do this if her food is changed, and she does not find it suitable.Be a good owner, and ditch the cage, please.....

You probably upped her food too much, too soon. It should have been done gradually to get her stomach used to having the larger amount in it.

Why have you got your dog in a cage? She looks very unhappy.

Please don't worry about the kennel for training your fifteen week old puppy as long as she isn't kenneled for long periods of time and the advice of not feeding in the kennel is definitely correct!

Puppies need to be toilet trained just like human children do! I would no more leave a human baby running around without diapers after a meal than I would leave a puppy running around after a meal! It's no more cruel to kennel train a puppy than it is to have a child in a diaper until they've learned how to poddy in a proper place!

Lot's of praise to your pup when she does poddy outside and no punishment if she has a boo boo :-) Oh, and the the advice of the smaller or divided kennel size is good, too! Your little one will learn how to 'hold it' and ask to go out in no time at all :-)

I don't like cages for dogs. So many irresponsible owners leave them in the cage far too long.

Where ever your dog gets used to going to the bathroom will become his "toilet," so take him to an area outdoors where you want him to go, and be sure to take him to the same place each time. They usually go shortly after they eat when they are young. Soon your dog will automaticall go there when he wants to go to the bathroom.

My vet told me once that a dog will not go to the bathroom where he sleeps so I confined my dog to a small area and that was the end of pooping in the house.

When potty training a puppy, they usually put the puppy in a small cage that is like a carrying cage just big enough for sleeping and them take them out each our to see if they will poop and pee and praise them. After some play time they go back in the cage...usually doesn't take long because they will not want to go on the bed. The cage that you have the pup in is way to big because it has room to play, sleep and poop. If you are using the cage for training...it is too big. If you are not it is too small:)

Harriet

I've heard of "crate training" that's for sure. I've raised 4 dogs with no crate (cage). My breeder told me to get one and train my latest puppy to pee in it, makes no sense. I've never crate trained a dog. I never will but each to their own and a lot of people crate train to save their furniture from being chewed while at work. Also keeps the pup safe from wires and such. I don't know what the right answer is for this. Wow. If the pup is in it for great lengths of time alone while you are working or away from your house then yes, it will pee and poop there. Otherwise, when you are home, leave the door open so the pup can come and go and train it to go outside. Pups catch on quite fast for the most part.

Well I'm new. LOL. I should learn to read dates on the posts before posting. lmao

1. He's probably being left in the cage too long.

2. At the age that he's at, he should be getting fed twice a day.

October 6, 2011 Flag

I have a 3 month old brindle pit bull puppy and he will not poop anywhere besides his crate. I see a lot of people saying they won't pee or poop where they sleep, but not only does he pee in there, he will only poop in there. After he eats, which we took down to once a day, we wait 10 minutes then take him out for an hour and he does nothing. In fact, he eats at 7:00 pm, will not do anything outside, then holds it all night and poops in his crate during the day. I am at the end of my rope having to come home and bathe him and clean a crate everyday. Please help.

By Mzzyngr

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This action was learned as a young puppy, due to previous owners keeping him in a crate all the time. So he had nowhere else to do his "business". Take him outside every hr and repeat " go potty" and when he does give lots of praises and treats! Be very persistent with an outside schedule. Hope this helps. ;)

Dogs usually don't "go" in the place where they sleep. Perhaps your dog is having a bowel/stomach problem and is unable to hold in his poop and should be checked out by the vet. Poor little dog. I know it's a pain for you to clean up but I'm sure he doesn't like sleeping in his mess.

Would you be surprised to see your 12 month old child peeing and pooping where he's not supposed to? Well that's what you're doing with a 3 month old puppy. It doesn't matter the breed. He's only 3 months old! You can't train a child to use the toilet overnight and you can't train a puppy to go outside overnight either. It takes time, and patience, and a lot of both.

Also, qtmama3 and farstar both have it right too. Take the puppy out more often and keep him out till he does his business. And then praise him as if he'd just found you a gold mine! He will get the message, but give him time. It won't happen all at once. Also, once it does start happening, if he has a mistake every so often don't act as if he's done something wrong. Simply take him outside again. Children have mistakes and so do dogs.

Most children are at least 4-5 years old before you can really trust them to use the toilet every time. Dogs are usually at least 2 yrs old before you can really trust them. They will be good most of the time before that, but not totally trustable till around 2 years old.

So be patient and be consistent. He'll learn. And once he does he'll probably turn out to be a great dog.

I'm just hoping you are the right type of person for a pitt bull. Some breeds, pitts included, need a special type of person to be able to handle them when they are grown. And if you're not the right type of person the situation can quickly become dangerous, with the dog usually being blamed.

Please feed your puppy at least twice a day. A Puppy at this age needs more protein to build up his muscles and weight. He should be fed at least morning & night. Why is he in a Crate all the time? Your puppy needs to interact with his family and get more play time to socialize him. Potty training will take awhile, but it will happen. Take him outside 20 minutes after each meal for at least a 1/2 hr. A puppy that poops in his crate is in there way too long..

Each day when he poops in his crate, take the poop and put it outside in the area where you want him to poop. Do NOT punish him for pooping in his crate. Take him to the vet as well to be checked to be sure he does not have any physical difficulties. Also, the vet can give you good feedback on how to fix this.

OK not to hurt your feelings but he may be scared and upset. If he did that with his mother she probably cleaned up after him. I do not know how old he was when he was taken from his mother. Most of the time this should be his safe haven. How long do you leave him in there? Does he have something to chew on and lay by or a toy? Pits get very large and strong all of a sudden. Also he needs to be taken out more and tell him a command.

I use go outside and walk in the grassy area with him. When he does do his business tell him what a good boy he is and pet him. I also use special things. ex. rub his eyes softly shutting them, hug him, rub along his face or nose softly... See what is special to him. Also if you have a trusted friend or relative that could come by during the day, that would be great. My 80 yr old mom comes by for an abused and left alone dog for years now. She gets so excited when my mom comes over and she lays down like a puppy only for her. I have secretly watched the two of them. You know what she does and only my mom? She kisses her face and rubs her nose. My dog went from 63 lbs to 100. The vet could not believe she was the same dog. Now it took me a year to get her where she is. Pitt bulls are known to be smart and stubborn! They tend to be big baby styles and love you to death ot watch dogs. Do not let that dog ever see you as anything but the leader of the pack.

Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
Pets Dogs House TrainingDecember 17, 2008
looking down into potato cage with new growth
Building a Potato Cage
ferrets in their hammock
Setting Up a Ferret Cage
A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎉
🎄