Playing with your Puppy

Spend lots of time playing with your dog, starting from when it is a puppy. The more time you spend with your dog, the happier it will be and the friendlier it will be with other people.

By Wanda from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Not only that, but if you have a dog you'll need to groom--like a poodle or a shih tzu--take her to the groomers as a little puppy, just to say hi, and several times again before you take her for a 'real' grooming session. This will she will be used to the groomer and trust her or him!

it's never too soon to train your pup. They can 'learn' to follow the leader,(you), sit if they are old enough to eat food, just hold a teeny tiny treat above their head but not so far that they jump up and as soon as their cute little fuzzy butt is on the floor, say "SIT" and give it the treat. Always use any opportunity to 'catch them in the act' of being good. Many dog owners only correct their dogs when the dog is being bad and they don't praise the dog for just being good like sitting, laying down, NOT NIPPING!! When I see my dog laying quietly or sitting nice without being asked, I always pet him and tell him what a good boy he is. I rub his belly and talk to him quietly.

Also, talking about puppies.....never shout or scold or scare a pup. Everything you do when the dog is very young is 'patterned' on it's brain and yelling and frightening a baby pup will damage it forever. Remember, a puppy is a baby and you wouldn't yell at your baby. My new baby is arriving this Friday evening. She's flying in from Colorado. She's a goldendoodle; her daddy is a red Golden Retriever and her momma is a white, standard Poodle. I highly recommend the breeder. Visit her website at:

I'm so excited to see 'Sunny'. I just hope my very large German Shepherd will like her.

Tow Dogs Holding Stick Together
Socializing Your Dog
Pets DogsFebruary 14, 2006
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
Chihuahua Puppy
Treating a Puppy With Worms
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Playing Cards Costume
Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo