Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Candle wax was spilled on my wooden floor. It is dry now. How do I remove the wax?

By Gayle from New Iberia, LA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jfurstoss03/02/2014

I have read the responses and I discovered something that will help remove candle wax from a prefinished hardwood floor. First use a plastic putty knife to remove the major build-up and dispose of the scraps. Next use the previous mentioned Goof Off on a soft cotton rag to remove the rest. And it gets better - lastly use the edge of the plastic putty knife to remove that last bit in the cracks between the boards. Waa laa!

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]06/11/2005

Renters caused problems for us: How can I take spilled melted wax off hardwood-floors, it also splashed up on the walls and metal closet doors.

Thank you for your help

Mary in Pueblo, CO

Here are questions related to Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor.

Question: Removing Candle Wax on Walls and Hardwood Floors

Candle wax spilled on my hardwood floors and walls. Please help me and tell me what can I use to clean this hard mess up.

By Gina

Most Recent Answer

By Nancy [6]08/30/2011

As an after-thought, please be very careful so you don't cause harm to your floor.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Just stumbled onto the site: wonderful. I spilled pink candle wax on my hardwood floor. The floors had been redone by pro about 2 years ago. Candle wax is not on top, I tried to scrape most of it. Outside of removing 3 layers of finish, any other suggestions? Only about 4" long, 1" wide. Thanks,

Sue

RE: Wax on Hardwood Floors and Walls

Use a hairdryer and nylon pan scraper. Also, Goo-gone, available at Home Depots. (03/17/2005)

By annielou

RE: Wax on Hardwood Floors and Walls

Place brown paper over the melted wax and iron with a preheated iron (on low). The wax will melt and stick to the paper. Keep rearranging the paper and ironing until it's all come up. Don't leave the iron on the paper too long. (03/17/2005)

By Cathy

RE: Wax on Hardwood Floors and Walls

I use Zippo lighter fluid or any lighter fluid that is on sale. Scrape off the wax, then put a little lighter fluid on a paper napkin and wipe off the wax residue that is left. It will not harm the surface of the wall (even wallpapered walls) or floor. I have used this for years at home and in the classroom. Candles like to drip on furniture and Children like to color on everything. (It takes crayon marks off blackboards, walls, computers, wood floors, and toys.) (03/18/2005)

By Irma_Lorraine

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Freezing it with an Ice Cube might make it come off easier. (06/11/2005)

By Chevygirl

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

I just saw this on Haley's Hints on the PBS station! Use your hair dryer to soften the wax and then you can easily take it off with a paper towel. (06/11/2005)

By Peggy

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

I think a wore of caution on removing candle wax with any chemicals and heat could result in damage to sealer on hard wood floors. You might want to try on a spot that would be out of view first. Most chemicals and heat could cause your varnish to cloud or could remove the coating all together. Nothing was mentioned if the spot was in an open area where it would be seen if the procedure didn't work. I've used goo gone to remove paint a renter splattered on new varnished wood work and it took the varnish off-not a big deal because I did the staining and varnishing in the first place so a touch up with the original varnish was possible. Also I have used a heat gun to remove paint and varnish and like an iron the heat could chemically alter your varnish-dry it out and cause it to peel or buckle. I think before I'd try anything I'd ask the professional who did the finishing for any advice. (06/11/2005)

By little brown eyes

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Mineral spirits will remove wax from wood but will not harm any floor finish. I'm a pro wood floor sander\finisher\refinisher 13 years. Spirits can be used to remove wax build up from wood floors if you use murphys or flax soap on your floors (07/05/2005)

By Steve

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

I had a red candle drip all over a mahogany mantle, wall, and my hardwood floor. Tried the rubber spatula and Goo Gone. It worked like a champ! (12/11/2006)

By Karen

Archive: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

How do you remove candle wax from hardwood floors?

Donna E. from Trinity, NC

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

(Sent in by email) I just wanted to thank Peggy so much for your suggestion to use the blow dryer to melt the wax and then to use a paper towel to wipe it up. It works great. I used it on my hardwood floors, an antique bureau and also on a lace doily that the candle wax spilled over. Thanks for your ideas. (01/07/2008)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

My daughter spilled candle wax all over my hardwood floor, I read every single post in here. After reading about the Goo Gone, I discovered I had some stuff called Oops. I use it to removes adhesive from stickers and such. I put some on the floor and used a dry rag to wipe it off, took the wax right off, after I was done I got the rag wet and went over the area again. It didn't dull my hardwood or anything, worked great. Thanks for all your help!. (04/10/2008)

By Aric

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Bug and Tar remover has also been found to be effective on removing candle wax spills from hardwood floors. (06/21/2008)

By Wags be gone

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

My fiance left a large candle on all night (the kind with 3 wicks) and it was all over the wall, molding, and hard wood floor. It had splattered all over the floor, which was really difficult to get off, at first. We were able to get the large pieces off by hand, but the iron just wouldn't get up all the splattered areas. We finally used a spatula, which got all of the wax up perfectly. There was a light residue left where the wax had been, so we used Goo Gone to get the rest up. Let the Goo Gone sit on the area for a few minutes, then wipe up. It didn't harm our hardwoods, and we didn't have to repaint the wall. (08/03/2008)

By Jamie

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

The warm iron and paper bag works great. I was even able to get the wax out of the grooves in the hardwood floor. Many thanks. (08/31/2008)

By Alice

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Thanks. The medium heat iron and paper towels worked great on lifting the spilled candle wax from my hardwood floor. This method safely and completely removed the wax. (11/02/2008)

By

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Great tips. I used the blow dryer and paper towel trick on a side table splashed with wax. Worked great. Took all of 10 minutes to get every speck of wax (there was a lot) out. (11/12/2008)

By Kitkat

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

We had a large amount of wax on our floor as one of our drunken New Years Eve party guests accidentally knocked a large burning candle off an end table. I took a multi step approach since there was so much volume. First I used a new wide plastic putty knife to get the major candle wax off our Brazilian cherry floor. I then used a small plastic pick about the size of a toothpick (which would also work) to remove the wax between the floorboards. I then used the iron/paper bag method described in detail on this thread. It still left a little surface wax which I removed with a vinegar/water solution (50/50) applied with a paper towel. I wiped small areas and quickly followed with a dry paper towel. I replaced the towels every few minutes. This got the last bit of it. (01/01/2009)

By MacQ

RE: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

Used the warm iron and paper towel and it worked fine. First scraped thick amount off, the iron and paper towel took off the last thin layer of wax. Thanks so much. (02/23/2009)

By Hans en Donna

Archive: Candle Wax on Hardwood Floor

How do I remove candle wax from hardwood floors?