Attach Solar Lights to Your Fence

contest winner icon

Here's a unique way to use your solar lights. They aren't just for the ground!

We took 2x4 and cut them into squares to fit the original existing posts. Using galvanized screws - Not nails - Screw a "L" bracket to the underneath base. Then on top, screw on the stake. Screw the whole block to the existing post. I then stained the block with Superdeck Redwood to match the fence.

It's really nice at night. It's nice to have lights up high, it really gives a romantic glow to our yard.

By Jennifer In CA

That's beautiful!! The lights that I have are the kind that hang on hooks that are driven into the ground. All I need is to install some hooks (maybe decorative plant hangers) and hang the lights on those. Thanks for the great idea!!

What a great idea. You did a really professional looking job on these. The night time pictures are very inviting. Enjoy these, all year long.

Great look! We did this kind of thing on our deck once. Hubby took them out later to remodel and I'm still waiting for them to be put back up!! ;-)

LOVE THEM! So clever.Thanks for sharing.

Clever idea, looks great!

Like your idea. We have an above-the-ground pool with an attached deck (aluminum) and railing. We found that the solar light stakes will slide into the upright posts around the outside of the deck if the end caps are removed. It is a great look and a good way to light up your pool at night.

Thanks everyone for your comments! We sure had fun with this project. Evenings are spent outdoors since our lights are up! Happy Summer!

Jennifer CA

Along a similar theme, our deck rail has 4x4 posts, but the railing top covers them. My husband took 2" slices of 4x4 and screwed them down directly above the posts -- giving the effect that it comes through the rail top. Then we bought solar post cap lights and screwed them on top. Now we have great solar accent lighting and it looks like it was meant to be there all along! Our deck builder really liked the look of it and took photos to show options for futures deck clients.

What a beautiful look and great idea! You did a really professional looking job and it looks so inviting at night. thanks for the idea. :)

How can you get this lighting effect on a vinyl fence?

Wish I could do this but I have metal posts. I'll try to figure out another way as I don't like them on the ground. Anyone else reading this please send me a message if you have a solution for me.

How do you attach the stake to the 2x4?

Where do you get the round flange that holds the lights to the 2x4? Thanks, Dwayne M.

For those with vinyl and metal fences, yes you can do this. Use the L bracket like Jennifer used but use the appropriate screws for metal or vinyl. Ask the guy at Home Depot or Lowe's to show you which to use. For metal you may have to pre-drill a small pilot hole before using the metal screw. Don't over-tighten or the hole will get too big.

As a last resort try Gorilla Glue!

Attach solar garden lights to your fence.
Adding Lighting to a Fence
Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricAugust 2, 2006
Solar light mounted on interior house wall
Using Solar Yard Lights
Paw prints painted on a fence.
Decorating Your Fence
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎉
🎄