Tame Creme Rinse Recipe

I want to know if you have the recipe for making Tame cream rinse or shampoo? I would also, be interested in where I can buy it cheap. It was popular in the 1970s and 1980s. Thanks.

Aline from Alamogordo, NM

Anonymous

There are a couple of recipes below in the ThriftyFun archives.

I found it at a dollar tree in bright pink bottles

I found the 2-in-1 Tame shampoo/creme rinse at Dollar Tree in bright green bottle. Didn't see any separate shampoo or creme rinse. But at $1.00 a bottle you can't beat the price!

I have been looking for it myself, & Loves fresh lemon body splash. The latter I found in a pic-n-save in SoCal a few years ago & bought it all. I'm thing since Dollar Tree has wee.dollartree.com if they have Tame available anywhere in any of their snores maybe we could find it that way. I have ordered wedding vases online thru them and they delivered to my Dollat Tree free & in less than a week. Big Lots might be worth doing an online search too cos they get some really "vintage" looking hygiene inems. They even sell pregnancy tests, 2 in a box, & fertility thermometers for a dollar!

Does the recipe for Tame cream rinse detangle hair? Mine is awful and I can't go to the Dollar tree and get it, because I need to use dandruff shampoo.

By Julie H

I don't know why you can't use a creme rinse on your hair after you use the dandruff shampoo. I do, when I use Head and Shoulders.

Mix a solution of vinegar and rinse your hair with it. It's not only a disinfectant but a conditioner and will get rid of the tangles. I use a vinegar solution on my dog for the dry hot spots and use it on my dry scalp. The vinegar smell will evaporate and you won't smell it. Do a Google search on vinegar and you'll see what I mean.

After you shampoo, use any creme rinse or conditioner you like. Then, mix 2-4 Tbsps. cider vinegar into a large cup of water and pour it over your scalp. Gently rub in and let sit for a minute before rinsing with warm water. This should help your dandruff and let you use whatever rinse or conditioner you like.

One thing that works INCREDIBLY well for conditioner is Downey liquid fabric softener. After shampooing & rinsing your hair very thoroughly, put 1 part (About a shot glass full) of Downey liquid mixed with two parts water. You can adjust it to suit how you like it. Mix it in a cup and rub it through all of your hair. The "conditioner/detangler" will be thin. Just leave it in while you are finishing your shower or bath, then when you're done, rinse out the downy/water mixture. You will have THE SILKIEST HAIR, no static cling, & you can comb your tangles right out! Plus, you'll smell wonderful! I prefer the original fragrance but use what YOU prefer. My Mom figured out this little trick when we were too poor to even buy shampoo. She had us use Joy dish soap (because that's what we had) to shampoo with cos it was cheap and got your hair super clean. But it also tangled your hair out cos it took every bit of oil out of your scalp & hair. Hence, her brainchild for that problem was to try Downy and it was super effective. We were poor as a churchmouse, but we had GREAT HAIR!!

Can anyone tell me how to make a creme rinse like Tame? Regular conditioners make my hair oily?

Thanks,
Marie from Petersburg, VA

Answers:

Tame Creme Rinse Recipe

Use any good conditioner. Put about 1 ounce (2 T) in a pint spray bottle; fill the bottle with distilled water, shake well, and use as a spray-on, leave-in conditioner. It will be very lightweight, and one bottle of conditioner can last a year, easily. (06/16/2007)

By Vix

Tame Creme Rinse Recipe

I loved Tame Creme Rinse. I've tried to find it even online with no luck. Here is something my mother used to substitute when I was a child when we ran out of Tame. She would put about a teaspoon or two of liquid fabric softener (no I can't remember which one she used that long ago) in a cup of warm water and stirred it up. Then she would pour it over my hair after shampooing. It worked nearly as well as the Tame and my hair did not turn out all limp and oily feeling like with today's hair conditioners. (11/24/2007)

By Corine

Tame Creme Rinse Recipe

I recently used a sample of hair rinse from Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn that smelled, felt, and worked like Tame. It even said Tame on the bottle. Maybe they will sell to the public. (07/20/2008)

By Patricia S.

Tame Creme Rinse Recipe

Okay. I go to a salon in Columbus Ohio (Rapunzel's long Hair Salon) and they sell cream rinse. It's "wonderful" and very much like Tame (George Michael hair products). A wonderful smell and excellent product. I also love their deep conditioner for repair. They will post product to you if you call them.

Hope that helps and Merry Christmas to all.
614.445.7650 (12/15/2008)

By Gooby

Tame Creme Rinse

Someone in an earlier post correctly mentioned that Gillette bought out the Toni line of products which included Tame Creme Rinse. Guessing that the product still exists in some form, I searched through the Gillette product list under hair care and found Gillette Hydrating Conditioner listed. I bought a bottle and discovered that apart from a new fragrance, the product looked, felt and performed exactly like Tame.

The fragrance is decidedly masculine, but if you can work around that, I think you will agree that this is what everyone has been searching for. The thing I always appreciated about Tame is the fact that it leaves one's hair soft and manageable without depositing residues that sometimes clog pores in the scalp and cause pimples. (02/28/2009)

By Marshall

Tame Creme Rinse Recipe

In response to "Tame", I have done a little research and found a couple things: the first is it can supposedly still be purchased at discounted stores like The Dollar Tree, however, this is from a source-not me; second, the ingredients in Tame are very similar to the make up of White Rain conditioner. Adding natural cinnamon oil (which you can buy in the baking aisle of a grocery store) is the key difference, and again, this is only from a source. But, I am definitely going to try it. (09/24/2009)

By crownfairy