Cleaning Burnt Pans

How do I clean a scorched pot?

By Evelyn from Savannah, GA

First thing I would try is add some baking soda or regular dishwashing liquid and some water. Then boil the mixture for about 15 minutes. I would also gently scratch the bottom with a wooden spoon to loosen the burnt food.

If that's done, pour out the goo and let the pan cool down a bit. Then use brillo pads to scrub away the last burnt spots.

Lots of good suggestions on here in archive but method I use that works really well and is super easy is to fill the pot above the burn line with water. Add approximately 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup of salt. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Empty the water and the burned on gunk will peel off using just a spatula and your nylon scrubby sponge. Unfortunately if you discolor the outside of a light colored enameled pan the damage is probably permanent. Cleaning the inside is easy and an aluminum or stainless pan can usually be cleaned with steel wool or Brillo pad.

I have always read to pour enough coca-cola soda over the area and let it rest, and recently tried it on a pot I thought I had to throw away, and it worked like magic! After I had let it rest for awhile, I used a brush and it easily came off. I was very impressed! I did scrub it a bit before I tried this and removed most of the food residue, then covered the bottom with straight soda...no water or anything and just let it soak, and presto.

Put a new or used dryer sheet and warm water and let it soak. Scrub with the dryer sheet. Works like a charm.