Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Burnt Pans

How do I clean a scorched pot?

By Evelyn from Savannah, GA

By Susan [8]01/26/2011

Put a new or used dryer sheet and warm water and let it soak. Scrub with the dryer sheet. Works like a charm.

By Katie [5]01/25/2011

I have always read to pour enough coca-cola soda over the area and let it rest, and recently tried it on a pot I thought I had to throw away, and it worked like magic! After I had let it rest for awhile, I used a brush and it easily came off. I was very impressed! I did scrub it a bit before I tried this and removed most of the food residue, then covered the bottom with straight soda...no water or anything and just let it soak, and presto.

By slee15 [8]01/25/2011

Lots of good suggestions on here in archive but method I use that works really well and is super easy is to fill the pot above the burn line with water. Add approximately 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup of salt. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Empty the water and the burned on gunk will peel off using just a spatula and your nylon scrubby sponge. Unfortunately if you discolor the outside of a light colored enameled pan the damage is probably permanent. Cleaning the inside is easy and an aluminum or stainless pan can usually be cleaned with steel wool or Brillo pad.

By Kadi Dulude01/25/2011

First thing I would try is add some baking soda or regular dishwashing liquid and some water. Then boil the mixture for about 15 minutes. I would also gently scratch the bottom with a wooden spoon to loosen the burnt food.
If that's done, pour out the goo and let the pan cool down a bit. Then use brillo pads to scrub away the last burnt spots.