Use Foam Mattress Pad for a Pet Bed

I made a bed for my Basset Hound from a memory foam mattress topper that I didn't need anymore. I cut it into a rectangle, then I cut an old sheet to fit and sewed the sheet around three sides leaving one side open. I put the rectangular piece of foam into the sheet and sewed it shut. Then, I took a couple of his dog blankets and made them into a pillow case large enough to fit the foam. He loved his bed, and it was so easy to clean, just take off the case and wash it. I cut more pieces and made beds for my other dogs. He passed away a few years ago, and my other dogs now use it as their extra bed. I think it is especially comforting to dogs with spine and joint problems like my Basset Hound, Pete.

By Cynthia from IL

January 25, 2011 Flag

I cut two pieces of eggcrate foam the same size. Then I cut out a strip of fabric large enough to sew into a pillowcase large enough to enclose the foam. After inserting the foam into the pillowcase shape, I then used quilting thread and stitched up the ends. I wanted to use a different thread and one that is easy to see and remove, as I will remove the stitching should I need to wash it.

I could have also used sewable velcro or snaps, but figured the quick basting was easier.

The eggcrate foam is also great for reusing to make seat covers for outdoor chairs, etc.

Please Note: If you pet is the type that likes to try to eat his bedding, foam is not a suitable material to use for their bedding.

By hoptownracer1 from USA

Use Foam Mattress Pad for a Pet Bed

Use Foam Mattress Pad for a Pet Bed

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 27, 2010 Flag

Since we were no longer using our memory foam mattress topper, we made several dog pads. Being able to recycle this has been great for our (senior) pets.

To cut the memory foam topper to the size you need, use scissors. Then cover with towels/material.

To save money over the price of a store bought memory foam pet bed, you could purchase a Twin memory foam mattress topper and make your own.

By Abc8xyz

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 1, 2009 Flag

We got a new bed about the same time we adopted a stray puppy. I folded the old foam egg carton twin mattress in half, wrapped it with the fitted sheet and tucked in the flat sheet. It's easy to take the sheets off to wash. Our puppy has grown into a 75 lb dog and her recycled bed is the perfect size!

By Jane from Stone Mountain, GA

Answers:

Use Egg Crate Foam Mattress For Pet Bed

I have a friend that does this for her dog. His bed is in their garage. She also cuts up the eggcrate foam and uses them for the stuffing/inside for outdoor seat covers for her outdoor lawn furniture. I made some nice seat covers with eggcrate and some sturdy material. They get wet when it rains, but the sun dries them out. Sewed ties to the back, so they won't blow away or fall off the chair. The cats love their cushioned chairs! (01/29/2008)

By hoptownracer1

Use Egg Crate Foam Mattress For Pet Bed

We raise rabbits. So if for some reason its cold still when one of our does kindle, I cut the egg crate to fit the bottom of her nest box. Then in goes the hay. It works great and provides extra warmth. I've also just cut up pieces and added it to cages for them a spot to get away from the updrafts in the winter, only problem, some liked to chew on it...lol (05/18/2008)

By bmaxcey

RE: Use Egg Crate Foam Mattress For Pet Bed

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Dog on Homemade Pet Bed
Homemade Pet Beds
Pets AdviceJanuary 25, 2011
Photo of a bed with a memory foam mattress.
Cleaning a Memory Foam Mattress
Stamps and Colored Ink
Cleaning Foam Stamps
Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
🎉
🎄