Improving the Flavor of Soup

Improving the flavor of soup:

1. Caramelize the ingredients (cook slowly in frying pan to brown), then add to soup
  2. Don't forget to use a bay leaf or two.

Would you like to add any suggestions?

I haven't had a hearty bean soup in a while - although the weather is warm, I'm making one for dinner. Will put baby spinach leaves in each bowl, then pour the hot broth on it to wilt them (for some added nutrition - this was a tip from the Rachael RayTV show). Serve with interesting bread (corn bread, organic muffins, etc.) and some cool fruit slices for dessert.

I've had better luck cooking beans from scratch using the crock pot all day than any other method.

Holly from Richardson, TX

When I make a pot of beans I add finely chopped onion, fresh minced garlic and cut up raw bacon. I bring beans to a hard boil then quickly lower to a SUPER LOW setting. Boil SLOWLY in a covered pot for about 5 hours (check tenderness for doneness). This gives you a really thick & hearty bean soap. We eat it with corn bread OR I add shreded taco mix cheese and tortillas chips. My children love them both.

Good luck.

When I make beans from scratch, I rinse them, put in cold water, bringto a boil for10-15 minutes, cover andturn off heat for an hr. Turn back on andslowly simmer. nevr burn or getting mushy.

LOVE THAT BAY LEAF. ONE IS ALWAYS JUST ENOUGH.

I also always add a tsp of sugar , a sprinkling

of Montreal ground pepper and a dash of nutmeg

when I have these ingredients. When Marie Callendar began in Houston, TX, where we once lived, she always made the most delightful Minestrone soup. When I asked the chief ingredient,

I was told that it was V8 Tomato Cocktail/Veggie Ju.

I buy the generic when I can, and it is marvelous with fresh biscuits made with coconut milk, when I have it.

I prefer BLACK Bean soup, when we cook bean soup.

I must have a bit of Basil from my garden and

a pinch of garlic. I make Indian Cornbread with creamed corn, /grated celery and carrots. my fresh herbs mix, Coconut Oil, and Marjoram

My favorite soup is Butternut Squash with nutmeg and buttercream, COLD, but accompanied with hot

lemonwater tea, and a leaf of Lemon Balm from the garden. A variety of tiny muffins really make it great, when I have the mixes.

This is how I USED to be able to eat. Now I am VERY

happy with a tiny can of any sort of juice, canned

refried bean "dip", tiny sticks of any fresh veggie,

and a few cherry tomatoes, with whatever crackers I have left over. If I'm lucky, we still have a little peanut butter by the time my grandson gets through with it. God love him. It'll be soup from one of

many CANS tonight....again, I'm sure. and I'll just DREAM about the good 'ol days. God bless you. : )

Adding chicken stock in place of some of the water can add a lot of flavor.

When I make navy bean or split pea soup I put in a couple of ham hocks which gives the soup a great smokey flavor. Cook the soup for several hours until the meat comes off the bones. Remove the fat, shred the remaining meat and put it back into the soup and Yum!

I nearly always make my soups into 'cream of' ones just by tipping in some puring cream. Very luxurious.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupJune 25, 2007
Chili Soup
Chili Soup Recipes
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎄