Improving Canned Soups

Category Soups
Bowl of Soup With Bread
Start with a favorite can of soup and then improve it by tasty additions. This is a guide about improving canned soups.

Top brand soups are getting outrageously expensive! Try extending them by adding an extra can of water and some powdered soup of whatever flavor you are using! This works well with all the varieties I have tried: tomato, chicken noodle, and anything beef for another serving of broth from the single can of soup!

By Veronica from Sedalia, Missouri

Canned soups often have more broth than they need and are less "hearty" than what I like to serve (and eat). The easy way to "fatten" them up, and a great way to clean out the refrigerator, is to add any leftover vegetables to the pot. It makes for a much heartier bowl of soup.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I love some canned soups, and I am sensitive to sodium. I have found that many soups, particularly Progresso Chicken/Rice for example, can be drained of the canned liquid, and fresh water added. Sometimes I use a strainer and actually rinse the ingredients with water. This removes quite a bit of sodium, and the soup is still tasty!

Lisa

To add zest and value to your canned soups, add instant rice or extra vegetables to them. Spice them with varieties of Mrs. Dash or your favorite condiments.

By Nancy Black

To de-fat soup or broth cans, put them in refrigerator over night. Open with a can opener and remove fat collected on the lid, sides, and bottom of the can.

By Betty

I love the Campbell Chunky soups. One of my favorites is the Hearty Bean and Ham, but it seems to be missing something. I am not one who likes really spicy foods, but would appreciate advice from you food-savvy people on what spice I can add (other than salt) to make the soup more interesting. Thanks.

By Vicki from Monroe, MI

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I agree, that soup needs help! I'm a big fan of Emeril's Original Essence seasoning. It's not hot, but has many wonderful spices it in.

Thanks so much! If it has to do with Emeril, it has to be good! He is awesome to watch!

Anonymous

Try adding a bit of dry mustard and/or garlic salt to taste. For a can of that size it probably would only take a pinch or two.

I always add a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce to my vegetable soup. Might work with Bean and ham soup. Or try a drop or 2 of Liquid Smoke to oomph it up.

I always add "Mrs Dash" to everything I make that isn't sweet. You can buy the different ones. I like the onion or the garlic one. They aren't too spicy. Also you can always just use dried onions to the soup. Hope this will help. Just try different things until you hit the right one for your taste. Good Luck and God Bless.

I'm not a big fan of spicy foods, but I love to add a few splashes of green Tobasco sauce to various kinds of beans. The green is much milder than the red variety.

I sometimes add Cajun seasoning to my dishes. Not too much but it does give it a nice flavor and depending how much you add it wouldn't be spicy, if you add only a little. It tastes great on roasted potatoes too!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I have added a lot of those items to my grocery list to buy and give a try!

Bless you all!

Pinch of cayenne to a bowl of soup and a tsp of butter swirled through the soup.

Trader Joe's 21Seasoning Salute is a wonderful addition. Inexpensive and not filled with extra salt. Love it!