Painting an Old Refrigerator

I want to paint my refrigerator white (it is now almond). Has anyone had success and what type of paint did you use?

By RealtorRose from Malvern, PA

They make a special refrigerator spray paint. You can also use "Hammerite" for a pounded brass, copper or pounded steel look. Be sure to wipe the whole fridge down after you've cleaned it and before you paint it with rubbing alcohol. This removes any oil from your hands and any residue from the cleaner you used.

I've seen it done, it can turn out wonderful! They also make a stick-on laminate/veneer for fridges and cabinets in real (but very thin) stainless, chalkboard & colors. Write me for more info.

Look for 'appliance" spray paint at any home or hardware store. I've used it very successfully to get my appliances to match instead of replacing. "Appliance" isn't a brand name, only one of the descriptives on the spray can. It's a little more expensive but creates an enamel finish that is long-lasting and very washable. good luck

I was in WalMart the other day buying paint for a project. A woman was purchasing spray paint to paint her refrigerator. She said she'd painted a refrigerator before will good results using the canned spray paint in WalMart. She was buying the better quality one not the 97 cent can. Mayble you could spray a place on the back or someplace you can't see to test it out. Just a thought. I would ask someone in one of the better paint stores (like Sherman Williams) to get their thoughts. A company that does this will probably tell to not to; they want the job.

Thanks everyone. I did buy Rustoleum paint in a can to use on appliances. I would rather use a roller than spray since I don't want the overspray all over my kitchen. My only concern is the plastic on the water/ice dispenser compartment on the front of the door and on the door handles which is now almond color. I'm not sure I can remove them to paint properly. I do know they sell paint for plastic. I'm still a bit apprehensive and looking into buying a used white fridge and save the grief. Wouldn't have been so complicated if the fridge did not have the water/ice in the door.

Call a company that refinishes appliances. I did. It came out great. I can't remember the cost. It wasn't that much.

I also suggest that you purchase paint that is formulated for appliances. Paints like these are designed to hold up to heat and cold without cracking and peeling.

Painting a Refrigerator
Painting a Refrigerator
Home and Garden Home Improvement Kitchen AppliancesAugust 12, 2009
vintage range
Painting Appliances
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line