Cure for Bad Dog Breath

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua mix. We got her via a couple who found her in a orchard where we assume she had been dumped. She is a wonderful dog with a huge heart and tons of love to give.

My question is - are there any natural cures for bad breath? I had her fixed and got her shots within days of getting her. My vet has told me that her teeth are in good shape. She has the stinky breath. I used human tooth paste and it worked, but I then found out that this was poison to her. Thanks for your help.

By Virginia G. from Porterville, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Hello,

Maybe she needs a dental? This can be a cause of bad breath, please ask your veterinarian.

Marrow Bones. Dogs love them and chewing on them keeps their teeth cleaner than you can. Cleaner teeth means better breath. But only give your dog the large marrow bones. Never give your dog bones from poultry or pork or any small beef bone.

I would recommend The Pet Beverage! You just add a little to your pets food or water everyday and after a couple of week, their bad breath and body odor is gone. I have been giving it to my dogs for a couple of years and it really dogs help. They are bigger than yours so the product will probably last longer for you! This product is also natural!

Good Luck!

Our research at VitaHound has discovered all natural substance that act as dog bad breath remedies. Bad breath in dogs can be eliminated by utilizing products that contain these ingredients in their formulations: Grape Seed Extract, Neem Oil, Thyme Oil (Thymus Vulgaris) (Labiatae), Rosemary Oil, Pepperimint Oil. The first 3 compounds act as anti bacterial treatments the last 2 freshen a dog's breath. Cleaning a dog's teeth removes the plague that is the cause of the foul odor.

VitaHound's research reports that natural compounds are highly effective for cleaning dog teeth. Advanced formulations utilize grap seed extract (GSE) and neem, these are the 2 most common ingredients in premium products designed to be bad dog breath remedies. The best approach to canine oral care is to apply products that kill off harmful bacteria without affecting the healthy bacteria found in the oral flora of dogs. Regular use of these products allows the beneficial bacteria to crowd out the damaging bacteria that is the source of plague on a dog's teeth and gums.

I finally discovered a remedy for bad breath in dogs, and the source was the guys at VitaHound. I notice their post and advice on substances that are effective at treating a dog's oral health. A few months ago I Googled cleaning dog teeth and their site appeared at the top, a quick review of their online library at VitaHound.com was easy and I found info on the causes and remedies for treating a dog's bad breath. Their organization sells Petzlife oral care sprays and gels and their research reported their ingredients really work. Our family's dog Duke is now plaque and tarter free, further more his dog breath is permanently gone.

Ive been desperately scouring the web for dog bad breath remedies. I recently viewed a segment on the Dr Oz show with the experts from VitaHound. I was unaware of the health ramifications a dog's poor oral health has on their physical condition. Our family has owned dogs for over 40 years and this is the first time I have been aware of these concerns, nevertheless I'm willing to clean our dog's teeth I just want to be doing it right.

Answer

***

Cure for Bad Dog Breath
***

I have a need to understand about a dog's bad breath. I have a 9 month old Chihuahua. Her breath is very smelly, not in a good way, for a young dog. The vets say brush her teeth, but I've tried and she won't let me. So I am in need of other methods. Please help and thank you.

By Cinaman from Sunny CA

Answers:

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

There are some dog bones available that will help with bad breath. Also diet contributes to bad breath. Consider switching to a holistic dog food. (12/09/2009)

By freya1970

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

For a quick cure, feed your puppy apple slices. They freshen the breath quickly. There are also some dog biscuits with parsley, I think Pedigree makes them, but am not sure, that work wonders on my Saint Bernard. (12/11/2009)

By tracesof

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

I agree with the dog treats. There are a lot of them that will help keep your dog's teeth clean and they make a toothpaste for dogs that they love, but you have to be quick about brushing.
I agree that the smell can also come from something they eat. Don't give them too many human treats. Some of them they can't digest.
(12/11/2009)

By eveh

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

A while back I found some doggie breath mints at Target, WalMart used to carry them too. My doggie loves them, but he rarely has bad breath as he eats lots of veggies and loves bananas. Even though your cutie does not like brushed teeth, then just put some toothpaste on your finger tip, and swab that little smelly mouth! You are the boss and it will help. My doggie hates getting into bath once in he loves it! Good luck

Also try "Greenies" they make little dog chews that are green and perfect for your size dog and they are for bad breath and dogs love those. (12/12/2009)

By meoowmom

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

Marrow bones. Dogs who chew on real marrow bones have the whitest teeth and no bad breath. You can get them at the meat counter, you just may not have noticed them before. If you don't see them, ask! They sell them just for this purpose. And dogs love to chew on real bones. They last so much longer than a treat that is here and gone. (12/14/2009)

By Beth

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

Please do NOT use human toothpaste for your dog, for one thing fluoride causes cancer in them. For another, many things (i.e. the sweetener Xylitol) is deadly to dogs, but fine for humans. This is why toothpaste tubes warn even humans that toothpaste is not to be swallowed or given to children.

I have a little Chihuahua, and she will not let me brush her teeth. I get a small, thin washcloth (or her vet recommends the washcloths for babies), wrap it around the finger, and just wipe her teeth clean w/that. It's much easier. Sometimes I sneak up on her while she's sleeping and just get a quick wipe in. If you want, and she allows you can get doggie toothpaste (I don't use most of them, as they have artificial colors, flavors, etc., but one that is good and vet recommended is PetzLife Oral care gel). You can get it on Amazon.

Also, the baby carrots, cut in half (organic bags at Trader Joe's are cheap). I think she'd be too small for the soup bones, my Chi is. She does, however, do well with RAW, only raw chicken necks. I cut the skin and fat off. The cooked bones splinter, of course, but raw does not. However, I read about a Yorkie who choked to death on one. So, I hold onto it while my girl chews away on it. When it gets smaller, I cut it into small pieces she can't choke on. I don't recommend the regular dog bones, etc. They're full of grains, chemicals, sometimes mold, mildew, and salmonella. (12/29/2009)

By Chandrala

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 5 month old Pitbull and I was wondering if I could give her Listerine Pocketpack sheets for bad breath? And if so how many?

By Sadie's owner from New Orleans, LA

Answers:

Cure For Bad Dog Breath

Allowing them to chew on a rope toy is good for them, because it flosses their teeth while they chew. That might help reduce the tartar build-up that could be causing the bad breath. Our dog will chew those toys to the point where he starts to ingest the strings of the rope toy, so we watch it closely and only allow him to chew them while we're supervising him, and we take the toy away when he starts to "eat" rather than "chew". (09/10/2009)

By tsiegl

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

You can swipe the interior of your pet's mouth with human mouthwash, but do not let them swallow any of it as some of human mouthwashes are very bad for dogs.

I bought a tube of doggie toothpaste and brush their teeth with a toothbrush. I got them used to the brush in their mouth when they were small and let them chew on it for a few minutes a couple times a day while I held it. Throw the brush out and get a new one as soon as you see the bristles or plastic getting gnawed too much. You can buy a package of cheap brushes at Family Dollar. Pet stores also sell products for doggie bad breath. (09/11/2009)

By Lorelei

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

I would call the vet and ask if they have any chlorophyll pills. I might have spelled that wrong. This is a supplement that is supposed to cure bad breath. Go to earthclinic.com and look at the pets section. Ask the vet if chlorophyll pills are safe for animals, or you can look it up on the computer. It could be a medical problem or that he needs his teeth cleaned. You can buy dog toothbrushes and toothpaste for dogs at Petsmart. (09/11/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

No.Take the dog to the vet to find out wha's wrong. It's usually a medical/dental problem causing it. (09/13/2009)

By ahastings7878

Cure for Bad Dog Breath

At 5 months old, she is probably losing her baby teeth and growing her permanent teeth. That is probably causing the bad breath. Please don't give her any kind of breath products meant for humans. Your vet can tell you what is causing the bad breath and make recommendations. (09/15/2009)

By sameoleme

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have two dogs. When the older dog does his business outside the younger dog licks up the pee. Consequently the younger dog has horrible breath. They use a doggy door during the day when I am not home, so there is no way to let them out separately.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 23, 2010
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 21, 2016 at 10:25:37 AM on 10.0.0.252 in 680 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.