Selling Vinyl Records

What prices should I sell my 1980s vinyl records for, at a garage sale?

By catpaul from Freeport, NY

Best Answer

Agree with a few others on here that most of them likely are not going to be worth much more than a dollar or two each; the DH and I have been selling on eBay for five years, and will sell the occasional vinyl album, but here's our suggestion:

It's going to sound time-consuming and very tedious, but you may be better off doing both the garage sale and eBay selling thing.

Go to eBay and search your albums--the "completed" listings. That'll give you some idea as to what the market actually is for them, that is, what people will actually offer for them. Do them one-by-one. There are so many surprises that can pop up for you; an album you think is worthless can sell for a nice price ( and the other way around, ones you think should be priceless are worth next to nothing).

After your search, the ones you see selling for a couple of bucks--or under-- and the ones you have that may have tears or soil on the covers or more than minimal scratching of any kind--save them to put out on your yard sale.

If you think you'll get a dollar for it, it's not worth posting on eBay; after the selling fees, you're making next to nothing.

As for taking them to someone dealing specifically in vinyl--don't know if I'd go that route. Resellers are like antique dealers: you'll get about 25% back on what they'll actually mark it up and sell it for.

Good luck!

We put some vinyl records in garage sale a few months ago. There was also a turntable/cassette/8 track player, 8 tracks for sale at same time. Guessing there were 20 albums, 50 of 45's. We only got $20.00 for the whole bunch of them. No one was interested. You might get better offer from a business that buys and sells old music of all kinds along with antiques. Unless you find you have a collector near you that might be your best bet. It was easier to sell our Coca-Cola collection.

I would take your vinyl to a record store in your nearest city or urban area. A lot of DJ's look for popular music from the 70's and 80's to remix and there were often limited releases as CD's started to increase in popularity in the late 80's.

Another idea might be to ebay them individually or look online for a company that specializes in vinyl. You won't make more than a buck or two on them at a garage sale, probably less.

They're used to be a lot of free sites to go to and see what records were selling for and I can only find this 1, you can try looking them up on eBay to get a fair price. A lot of Collectors will go and buy a whole box for $5 and there may be a record in their worth $300 so be careful and do a little home work. I know of the record collection which I inherited from the 30's '40's and a few from the '50s is worth absolutely nothing, it's the 60s '70s and '80s that have any value now.

http://www.musiccollectors.com/index.html

List your collectibles in your add for the sale, i.e. vinyl records, Avon bottles etc. Then the collectors will know you have them. When I go to garage sales I don't go to those sales which don't have my kind of stuff listed in the add.

How much would a classic Beatles vinyl record course in a good condition

10 dollars

Selling Vinyl Records
Selling Vinyl Records
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousJune 5, 2009
Making a Vinyl Record Dessert Stand
Making a Vinyl Record Dessert Stand
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
🎉
🎄