Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Measuring Elastic for a Bed Skirt

I'd like to make a bed skirt with elastic instead of one that goes over the mattress. Can anyone tell me how to measure for the elastic?
Thanks for any help.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Kelly [15]08/06/2006

I saw one of those fully elasticized bed ruffles on Direct Source insert in Sunday paper (also at directsourceinc.com under general merchandise) I am so thankful for the search engine on Thrifty fun to find this advise! The profile said it was "double" elastic and the picture zoom shows it...you have to buy two or more for the special price.

Here is the link for a picture...just scroll down to bed ruffle: http://directsourceinc.com/generalmerch.html

By Marsha (Guest Post)12/16/2004

Have you seen the "Quickskirt" dust ruffle at Bed Bath & Beyond? It tucks between mattress and box spring. It's a neat idea that is another way you could avoid the dreaded "deck" style skirt. Good luck!

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]03/11/2003

I'm far from a master seamstress but I asked a friend and this is the advice she gave:

Measure the circumference of the bed (run a measuring tape around it). Use that much elastic minus about 4 inches. Youshould make your skirt with a pocket or place for the elastic to go through. Feed the elastic through with a safety pin and then sew the two ends of the elastic together. If that doesn't seem tight enough, you can cut more off and sew the ends together again for a tighter fit. Don't finish sewing up the pocket until you are sure it fits the way you want.

Some elastic has more give than others. For a bed skirt, use some that is strong because it will have to hold the weight of the fabric, 1/2 to 3/4 inch would be good.

One rule of thumb with elastic is that if you cut it too short the first time it is difficult to add more on but easy to cut some off so start with more than you think you will need.