Removing Labels Without Damaging the Label

How do I remove a label from a plastic bottle, without damaging the label?

By dryheatpete from Golden Valley, AZ

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Have you tried steam?

Soaking a label with white vinegar usually will loosen the glue.

Use your hairdryer, it will soften the glue without hurting the label. Just start lifting from one corner slowly as the glue melts.

Fill inside plastic bottle with really hot water and let sit for a few minutes. The glue will loosen and the label can be peeled off effortlessly. If really tough- retry and let sit a little longer. I use this method all the time and 99% of labels will come off with little effort.

Answer

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove a label from a hot sauce bottle? The only problem is I do not want to ruin the label. I want to scan the label to use as wedding favors.

Mia from Corona, CA

I have good luck removing labels with heat from my blow dryer. This may not work if it is water soluble glue, in which case, I think maybe water spritzed on very sparingly would work. (02/28/2006)

By Pat

Empty the contents inside, and add hot water, letting it sit. Work at the label slowly, and when the water starts to cool, add more hot. (02/28/2006)

By Kim

Back when I used to refund, I would cover the label with scotch tape, then soak the label off. The label sticks to the tape and you just lift it off. These days I would probably try the clear packaging tape to do this. (03/01/2006)

By mjm

Have you looked online to see if the company has a graphic of the label on their website that you could copy? (03/01/2006)

By marinewife5

Hold the label's edge over a steaming kettle to loosen the paste that holds it on and slowly remove the label. This also works well for removing stamps from envelopes if you collect them. (03/01/2006)

By Karl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousJanuary 5, 2010
Wine bottle with a blank label.
Finding Free Product Label Templates
Closeup of wet grass and clover.
Removing Clover from Your Lawn
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 5:01:49 PM on 10.0.2.249 in 898 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.