Keeping Apple Crisp Topping Crispy

The crispy topping on fruit crisps tends to become moist and slightly soggy as they cool and over time, if there are leftovers. This is a guide about keeping apple crisp topping crispy.

September 29, 2008 Flag

I love apple crisp and I have a great recipe but after it cools I can't seem to keep the top crisp. It always gets soggy. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Lisa from Pillager, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Don't cover it!

Now that we know how to keep it crispy, how about the great recipe?

I'm thinking you are asking how to re-crisp the topping on a 2nd day, or something like that. I haven't worked on this problem, but it's the same theory as making popcorn, chips, or even cereal crispy again. Those items you spread thin on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for a few minutes 350 - 400 F. Or they can be put under a broiler for even a shorter period of time. The point is to take some of the moisture out of the topping. I'm thinking reheating the crisp in the same temp oven for 10 minutes or so, uncovered, should at least help. Another wild thought I've had is to make extra topping, crisp it on that baking sheet and keep in a non-airtight container (or airtight in a very humid climate) to throw on top of the crisp, even removing some of the "soggy" topping if you want. Just ideas from an experienced baker....

I think my mom would cook the apple mixture for most of the time, then add the topping at the end; or else turn up the temperature right at the end to "crisp" the topping

Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream
Apple Crisp Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 21, 2016
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Cherry Crisp
Cherry Crisp Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
fresh carrots with tops
Crispy Carrot Tops
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 6:44:20 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.