Removing Dried Urine from Flooring

How do I get “crusted” urine off linoleum? I have been wiping it up every day or it seems that way. But there is a build up on my floor and on the front top of the toilet rim. Granted I don't have to look at it when I pee, but it's gross and I want it off.

By Raven from Sussex, WI

Best Answer

Soak a rag or paper towel in white vinegar, and let sit on the crusted areas over night if possible. Re-wet if necessary. Then scrub well. Repeat if needed. This removes hard water mineral encrustations in my bathroom, and the crusted urine is largely uric acid crystals. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Hi there. A 5 gallon pail made with 2 cups vinegar (any kind will work, but the white kind leaves less of a vinegar smell) to 3 or 4 gallons of water will give you a cleaning agent 2nd to none. I have always used pine-sol for cleaning, but it doesn't do justice to the crusty urine stains. The vinegar and water, left on the spot for about 10 minutes will help your mop suck it right up and rinse away in the tub. Then, of course, clean the tub!

Best Answer

If the other suggestions don't get it of completely, I might try to use a Magic Eraser. I buy the store brand, which work just as well as the major brand. I cut them down to smaller pieces, and throw them away after really gross jobs, but they are also really good for getting tea stains out of mugs and the like. Good luck!

As a tall guy that doesn't have a 'straight stream' (the answer for the ladies that complain about 'men can't hit the toilet', no, it's not that, but that it comes out more like a 'shower' than a pencil stream), I've pretty-well mastered the 'cleaning the urine scale' problem. For any 'wall or baseboard' wipe downs, I have found that the blue scrubbing sponges for dishes (non-scratching) and Simple Green work BEAUTIFULLY to quickly restore your walls and linoleum to 'like new' with minimal fuss (no waiting, just a quick easy scrub). For cankered toilet build-up, the absolute best thing I have found is to pour hot (not boiling) water to a level above the ring, then add the silver bottle CLR to the bowl (about 1/2-cup per gallon of bowl water) and let sit for 2-hours before scrubbing with a toilet brush, then flushing. You MAY have to repeat, depending on the ring build up, until you have it all gone. NEVER, EVER scrub porcelain toilet bowls with pumice, scouring pads, etc.! If you microscopically scratch the porcelain, it will let moisture in under the glaze of the bowl, and in no-time a 'water induced' crack will happen, causing you to have to replace the toilet. I have seen this happen as a result of 'scraping' a bowl to clean it on two different occasions! If you want to see this happen, simply put a porcelain bowl into a sink and fill with water for 1-2 weeks. The bowl will crack apart because of the same effect.