How Do Frugal People Store All The Stuff They Save? - Categories:

AdviceOrganizing

How Do Frugal People Store All The Stuff They Save?

This is a request for all of us frugal people who save everything. How do we store and organize all this stuff?

Linda

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I know I store my flours and such in the plastic containers from the dollar store. If I buy several bags when it is on sale I will wrap in a plastic bag and freeze it so it will stay fresh. Spaghetti or noodles can be done the same way.

I also will put cereal in the containers. It keeps them from going stale. And you can make your own 'blend' of cereal this way too. I always have a container for 'granola' type of cereal. When there is only a little of one left I will add it to it. And add raisins. Kids love this. It becomes almost like a trail mix.

But the biggest organization idea is the plastic storage containers from the dollar stores. And label label label with a marker.

I assume, maybe wrongly, that this question refers to saving for example toilet roll holders or jam jars - things you are going to recycle. My advice would be

1. Only save things you have a use for - there is no use having a room full of popsicle sticks if you can't find a use for them!

2. Containerize - use boxes with labels to separate and store each item or group of like items. Boxes, especially of uniform size and strength, can be neatly stacked - boxes such as those for A4 copier paper are ideal for this.

3. Only save a few of each item - especially for things that accumulate quickly like toilet roll holders! Again there's no point in having a room full of toilet roll holders when you only use 20 each Christmas to make crackers.

4. Perhaps designate one cupboard or closet for your recycling supplies and when it is full either stop collecting, throw away some of the least used items or find a 'crafty' friend or organization to give them to.

5. Keep in mind that a house with every room full of the clutter of saved stuff is not very frugal if it makes you want to sell up and move to a bigger house! lol!

Regards

Jo

Organizing AdviceJanuary 10, 2005
putting a penny into a pink piggy bank
What Have You Done to Save a Penny?
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
A boy scout looking at a compass.
Organizing Tips for Parents of Boy Scouts
Pair of fun glasses sticking out of a gift basket.
Gift Basket Ideas for College Students
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:23:15 AM on 10.0.2.136 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.