Replacing Carpet In Home With Lots Of Dogs

My carpets have had it. We live in a mobile home and have six dogs. We are on a very limited income, as we are disabled. I'm aware we probably shouldn't own so many dogs with are limited income but they bring us great joy and were almost all rescued from really bad homes. Just looking to ask what the most affordable thing to replace the carpet with? It would need to be something that can be easily cleaned since we have so many dogs. Thanks and God Bless You

Shannon from Florida

alot of salvage stores much like lowes has rolls of cheap linolium flooring at cheap prices. check your local yellow pages for salvage stores. easy to lay down and keep clean.

Is it really important for you to have carpet at all? Why not take up the old carpet, clean the floor really well, and then paint the subfloor? I used a good quality floor and porch paint and painted a wood floor and it was very durable and easy to clean. Then, if the dogs do scratch it up in a year, or two, you just run another coat of paint over it.

I would also suggest freecycle in your area. Perhaps post and ask if anyone has some they were going to throw away. The site is about recycling and not throwing usable things into the garbage and landfill. I got two older tvs from a very sweet freecycle user!

Tile or linoleum sheet goods. Check on Freecycle.org; sometimes you can get tile for free that someone has left over from a remodeling job.

I agree with the other answers. I went to peel and stick tile in most of my house as I have four dogs and three cats. It has made my life ever so much easier. My pets mean a lot to me.

The freecycle route is a great idea. See if anyone has any indoor/outdoor carpet tiles. These can be picked up, washed off, dried and reset! I have cats and use these.

I"d go to Lowes or another home improvement store, and try to buy a remnant of vinyl flooring. Now that I think of it I remember that I was able to buy irregular vinyl flooring at Big Lots. It was $10 for a six foot roll. We bought two of them to use in the foyer area and laundry room.

Good luck PS Keep your dogs. Change your flooring (smile).

I forgot to say that after you remove your carpeting you may notice the floor is cold. You can put a thick throw rug under your feet while you sit to watch tv or use the computer.

Good luck

The new Laminent flooring would be great, it is really not that expensive, & it is really tuff! I had it in my master bath, & I will put it in my new home when the carpeting gets worn & needs to be replaced. It is not hard to put down either, if you are a do it yourselfer. It is stronger that linoleum & it is stronger that hard wood floors too.

We live in Florida, too, and with only one ( big) dog, it's still constant cleanup. I gave up on carpeting years ago, all our floors are either ceramic tile or peel and stick; if you like the look of hardwood without the expense, Lowe's carries good grade vinyl planking that is very reasonable, looks great, feels like hardwood even with bare feet and is easy to maintain- a broom sweep and just mild soap and water.

You can do what so many others here said and check Freecycle; also look under the "free" postings on Cragislist; a new one--Kashless.org; or see if there's a Habitat For Humanity building supply store near you, where flooring that is donated can be had for a fraction of regular retail.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringJune 30, 2008
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
🎉
🎄