Stretching Hamburger Helper

Make your Hamburger Helper go further (store brand, on sale, of course). With a household of 4 big eaters, a box of Hamburger Helper is just barely enough. If the kids have a friend over, forget it. So, I add some extra milk, water, or a little of both depending on whether the Hamburger Helper recipe calls for milk, and some elbow or rotini noodles to create an extra serving or two. I don't measure, but I think about 3/4-1 cup of liquid and 1/2-3/4 cup of pasta.

By Nasubi77 from Western NC

November 2, 2010 Flag

I was fixing some Beef Hamburger Helper the other night and found that I was having extra people for dinner. I fixed it as directed on the package. When the beef was browning, I took a handful of spaghetti, broke it in half and boiled it until done; drained it and set aside.

When the Hamburger Helper was all done, I put the cooked spaghetti in with it. It made a whole lot more and tasted great! A good way to stretch the meals in these hard to make ends meet time.

Source: An idea a friend gave me long ago.

By Virginia P. from Evington, VA

Stretching a Hamburger Helper Meal With Spaghetti

This a great idea. I add basic pasta, potato or plain rice to lots of prepackaged meals. It does make more servings. But more important it cuts down on the sodium per serving. Many of these meals have way too much salt. (10/30/2009)

By MaggieGrace

I agree about the salt content. This is a great tip. (10/30/2009)

By Raeb22

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsNovember 2, 2010
Nail Polish
Stretching Nail Polish
Photo of a hamburger with a homemade bun.
Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipes
Liquid Hand Soap
Stretching Liquid Hand Soap
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes