Housewarming Gift Etiquette

I wish to give a housewarming gift prior to completion of the new home. Is that considered acceptable?

By wilden from Huntsville, ON

Most people give a housewarming gift when people actually move in to the home, but these days (if you live in the USA) I think people are pretty informal. I think a simple gift would be nice. You can also get something else when they actually move in if you wish. People always appreciate the thought behind a gift, just don't make it to expensive or to fancy! (& hopefully they'll have a place to store it!)

If the house is still being built I would wonder if they have someplace to store it. So, I would probably give a rose bush or fruit tree or something of that nature. That's what I would like. But whatever you do, I'm sure it will be fine and they will appreciate it. Good Luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I have to wonder why you want to do it now? Is it something they can use immediately?

July 2, 2009 Flag

Do you open gifts at the housewarming party or wait until the guests leave? PJM

Answers:

Housewarming Gift Etiquette

If I were giving a gift for something like that, I would want that person to open the gift, they may be able to use it while the guests are there. Most people like to see your expression on the gift in my opinion. (01/31/2005)

By casaroble

Housewarming Fruit Basket
Housewarming Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties AdviceJuly 2, 2009
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Young woman sitting next to moving boxes.
First Apartment Gift Basket Ideas
Whiskbroom Angel
Making a Whiskbroom Angel
🎉
🎄