Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Smoke Smell Off a Mattress

I hope someone can help me. I was given a new mattress (but) it was in a room at the other end of a house that caught fire. How can I get that smoke smell out.

Please help,
Grady from Louisiana

By Dan03/19/2009

At Bed, Bath and Beyond or similar home furnishing stores, you can get waterproof zippered mattress covers. Cover the mattress and no more stink.

By (Guest Post)10/01/2008

Try Febreeze. Many people have commented that it really works and smells great too! Timonty from http://ww.BestMattressReviews.com Find mattress reviews tips here.

By OrahLee (Guest Post)06/09/2008

I was "priveleged" to be the keeper of a king sized bed, from our extended family. It was about 10 years old and it had a strong odor. A friend went to the janitorial supply store that sells to the public, and got an enzyme product for me to spray on the set. It was something that I mixed with water and let dry. I soaked the cover and even did the under side of the box springs- - everywhere and let it dry a couple of days to let all those enzymes do their stuff. And it came out beautifully.

By MagnoliaSouth [2]07/19/2007

Mine is also cigarette smoke and so far my idea has helped tremendously. Here's what I'm doing:

Strip the bed, sprinkle powdered carpet deodorizer
(example: http://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Carpet-Deodorizer-Mountain/dp/B0009Q61GM/)
on the mattress and leave it on all day. At the end of the day vacuum it off. Repeat this a few times, also flipping the mattress.

Just be sure to vacuum it well, else you'll be sneezing. ;)

Also, I've saved a bunch of old dryer sheets. I place them side by side, up and down, on top of the box spring between it and the mattress.

These have really made a difference. Good luck and please let us know what finally did work!

By Kendall (Guest Post)04/02/2007

I also am looking to get a smoke smell out - but a cigarette smoke smell out - we have just received a 3 month old mattress from family friends but they are heavy smokers and we never really realized how bad it was until it was brought into our house - which is non smoking... I need to find something quick as it is an awful smell..

I am in Calgary, AB Canada - It has been suggested to me to try a few different products but I have had no luck

By Carlos (Guest Post)03/03/2007

ok. I have the same smell of smoke problem with a set I recently bought from a discount store. At first I tried Febreeze, but has only short term success. Then I remembered! Last night I sprayed "De Scenter" on the mattress, and this morning the smell of smoke is much more faint.

As it turns out, I use de-scenter when I go hunting, so that the deer can't smell my human scent. This stuf works on every scent/smell imaginable I think. You can purchase a spray/wash by the bottle at a sports store like DICKS, KMART, or Sports Authority (whereever hunting supplies are sold). For good measure, I plan on shampooing my mattress with de-scenter.

Best of luck!

By (Guest Post)10/20/2006

I have tried the fabreeze and it hasn't worked for me...I'm still looking for an answer!

By Lorie10/19/2005

Smoke from fires are the most difficult to remove. First - vaccum the mattress very well on all sides (Top, bottom, and all around the sides). Then spray the mattress down (all sides) with Febreeze and let it dry overnight. Vaccum it one last time all over.