"5S" Your Way to an Organized Life

contest winner icon

Many people are overwhelmed with the thought of organizing their home let alone one specific area. A great "workplace" organization methodology you can follow in the home is called "5S", originally employed in Japanese manufacturing plants.

Loosely translated to English, the 5S model is as follows:

• Step 1 - Sort Use this step to purge your life of "stuff" you have accumulated that adds no value to your life and should either be discarded, sold or donated);

• Step 2 - Straighten

• Step 3 - Shine (clean)

• Step 4 - Standardize You might label bins or jars that specific items are to be stored in.

• Step 5 - Sustain Once you have established new standards, be sure you have a system to ensure you are reviewing and maintaining the new standards.

There are many sources of information on the internet for "5S" or maybe even in the mind of your spouse who has been involved in "5S events" at work.

Beyond 5S, simply avoid purchasing "stuff" that truly is not needed by you or your family. Start by understanding "wants" vs "needs". "Stuff" does not define us; it is the things we do and the lives we impact that defines us.

By Lean Machine from Cleveland, OH

Thanks for posting this. My DH works at a Japanese run auto parts factory and I did not know what 5S-ing meant except for cleaning. Thanks for the explanation.

The Japanese found a smart way to organize. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Although I use flylady.org as my go to place for staying organized, I am always interested in anything I might have missed. Getting organized can change your life and make it so much easier. Thanks.

I enjoy flylady.net as well. She has a great way of getting her point across and inspires me to keep working on my clutter. This 5S method is new to me but sounds very interesting. It is a simple way to keep things organized and progressing on my clutter. It didn't build up in a day and won't disappear in a day, but step by step I will become organized. It's on my bucket list! lol

organized pantry
Being Frugal and Organized
Organizing AdviceJanuary 8, 2010
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Garden Tools on Shed Wall
Storing Garden Tools
Get Organized
Step by Step Guide To Get Organized