AdviceRecipes

Homemade Bread is Crumbly

How do I keep my homemade bread from crumbling apart?

Roberta

Do you use cane sugar or beet? Beet sugar will make things coarser when baking, try cane sugar in your recipe.

You don't have enough liquid or the proper oil in it. Using light or whipped margarine/butter is not all product, but water too. I use light olive oil only and for recipes that call for powdered milk and water, I always use fresh milk. It makes a difference in the texture of the bread greatly!

Try adding 2 Tablespoons or more gluten (from health store or baking aisle of grocery store) to the recipe. I have used this and while it doesn't work as well as I would like, it does help. I have not tried increasing the gluten and I do use bread flour.

It's my first time at baking bread and it is crumbly, is that good? If not, what am I doing wrong?

By vgsm from BKK, Thailand

Answers:

Homemade Bread is Crumbly

I agree with Molly539. How much fat is in the recipe? Is it whole grain or white? One trick we have learned is to soak the first couple of cups of whole wheat flour in two cups of yogurt for about 12 hours, then proceed with the recipe. You could also use 2 cups of milk with 2 tablespoons of whey added. Good luck! (06/02/2009)

By coreenhart

Homemade Bread is Crumbly

Your bread may not have enough gluten in it. Is it all-purpose or regular flour from the store or is is bread flour (says for bread or strong flour). I know there is long white french bread there. Ask them where they get their flour. Another suggestion is that you look for wheat gluten and add it (1T to 1C) to the flour mix. This will strengthen the bread so it won't crumble so much. I also would like to see the recipe that you are using. (06/03/2009)

By tennesue