Preventing Fruit Flies

The best way to avoid fruit fly problem is to water wash all produce, especially bananas, as soon as possible. I put the wet produce on a kitchen towel or paper towel, blot it a bit, and let it sit out until its dries thoroughly. If I have a lot of produce, I use a large tray lined with a towel.

Fruit flies lay eggs on produce. The eggs hatch when the fruit and vegetables sits out on the counter. We usually have the problem when I forget to wash any produce or wait a day or two.

Use cider vinegar to trap fruit flies. I put some of the vinegar in a wide shallow bowl with a drop or two of liquid dish detergent for hand washing dishes. I don't cover it. You can smell the vinegar but we put up with it for a few days. At night, I put the bowl near the night light in the kitchen. Usually clears up the problem in a few days. Don't forget to keep any produce out of the kitchen until the problem clears up.

Source: My future son-in-law.

By Mkymlp from NE PA

I do this but I also keep a spray bottle filled with water and dish soap and squirt the buggers whenever I see them flying around. They die within a minute.

I usually have fruit flies in the summer too. My friend stayed with me all summer this year and she uses a lot of bleach. I once read that bleach in the drains helps. Now I beleive it. I didn't have any fruit flies this summer.

All I have ever done is put 1 or 2 leaves of Bay Leaf in the bowl of fruit. Or even around my fruit laying on a paper towel in the kitchen (works great on my ripening tomatoes).

Good ideas! Thanks

Put alcohol in a spray bottle and spray them they drop like flies!

Thank you so much for that info. I had never heard of that. I mean don't get me wrong I do wash my fruit especially the ones like strawberries, cherries, etc. but not oranges, bananas, grapefruit, so now I will do that.