Toning Down the Kerosene Smell From a Heater

I know it might be a little late in the season for this, but my sister taught me a little trick. If you use a kerosene heater to cut down on heating bills, like we do, and you can't stand the kerosene smell, put a pan of water on top of heater, and the smell will be gone! Sometimes I put in a couple drops of essential oil, and the smell travels through the house, making it smell great!

By Tammy Marie

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Thanks! I hate that smell too! Note: I have a carbon monoxide detector, and it has never registered any readings due to the heater. :) Aeromama

Another thing is to have the heater outside to light up. Full extend the wick and light it. Let it burn for a full five minutes like this and only then turn it down to you're desired level. The heater can then be taken inside and should burn clean and odour-free. So long as the the flame burns blue, all should be well! Ian.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Kerosene Heater
Using a Kerosene Heater
Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingApril 14, 2005
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Blue Kerosene Bottle
Cleaning Kerosene Spilled in a Car
Kerosene
Using Kerosene for Stains
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 7:49:18 PM on 10.0.1.224 in 872 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.