Toning Down the Kerosene Smell From a Heater

I know it might be a little late in the season for this, but my sister taught me a little trick. If you use a kerosene heater to cut down on heating bills, like we do, and you can't stand the kerosene smell, put a pan of water on top of heater, and the smell will be gone! Sometimes I put in a couple drops of essential oil, and the smell travels through the house, making it smell great!

By Tammy Marie

Thanks! I hate that smell too! Note: I have a carbon monoxide detector, and it has never registered any readings due to the heater. :) Aeromama

Anonymous

Another thing is to have the heater outside to light up. Full extend the wick and light it. Let it burn for a full five minutes like this and only then turn it down to you're desired level. The heater can then be taken inside and should burn clean and odour-free. So long as the the flame burns blue, all should be well! Ian.