Hibiscus Leaves Turning Yellow

By karen new 1

Question:

I have a Hibiscus tree that is potted and placed on my deck. It still has beautiful yellow blooms but I've recently found the leaves to be yellowing and falling off the plant. Nothing has changed with exception of the heat has intensified. I keep it watered but the surface soil typically looks dry. Could it not be getting enough water or perhaps too much?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Karen from Mobile, AL

Answer:

It isn't all that uncommon for container plants to show some signs of stress when summer sun really starts turning up the heat. Hibiscus is usually quite tolerant of intense summer heat, but no plant does well with extreme changes in temperature and humidity. When a hibiscus develops yellow leaves, it's most often caused by a lack of water, root damage, over-fertilizing (which isn't easy, as they are heavy feeders), or the leaves are simply getting old and they need replacing. A few yellow leaves is normal and nothing to panic over. Many yellow leaves indicate stress (usually due to under-watering or a pest attack from the likes of spider mites) and action is warranted.

Hibiscus should be watered (and fertilized) often during the spring and summer growing season, even more so when they are grown in containers. The tricky part of watering them in containers is avoiding root rot. These plants are native to tropical, swampy areas, so keeping the soil evenly moist at all times is ideal. That said, you don't want the roots to stand with wet feet, so letting the surface soil dry out a bit between watering is typically okay. Any excess water remaining in the planter 30 minutes after watering should be dumped.

Other than keeping the soil consistently moist (not wet), the other thing I would recommend is checking for insect infestations-especially on the tips of shoots, on the buds, and on the undersides of the leaves. Hibiscus can be susceptible to aphids and spider mites. If you don't see any signs of pests, give your plant some time. It sounds like you're doing everything just right.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Comment

Archive: Hibiscus Leaves Turning Yellow

The leaves on my hibiscus plants are turning yellow. Some of the
leaves looks limp like they need water. I have beautiful blooms. Can
anyone tell me what to do? I do not want to lose my beautiful plants.

TUEY From FORT COLLINS, CO

Answer:

Tuey,

There are a lot of reasons hibiscus leaves turn yellow. Yellow leaves are a signal that the plant is stressed, but the fact that you have beautiful blooms is a good sign. You didn't say whether or not your plant was growing in the garden or indoors. Have any major changes taken place in the plant's environmental conditions recently? Leaves can turn yellow from too much water, not enough water, a lack of light (doubtful if you have flowers), insect damage (specifically mites and thrips), sudden changes in temperature (extended periods of heat or cold drafts from air conditioners), or from having to adjust to a new location (did you move it recently?). Hibiscuses are rather high maintenance plants that don't adapt quickly to changes in their environment. If insects are the problem, treat as necessary. If they are not the problem and none of these other suggestions seem to fit, check the plant for root damage. Otherwise try to maintain stable conditions for the plant and the problem will probably clear up on its own. Avoid continuously changing its food and water regime and keep its light and location consistent.

Ellen

Answers:

RE: Hibiscus Leaves Turning Yellow

They make fertilizer for flowering bushes with iron in it. You can also dump your used coffee grounds underneath. Epsom salts (2 tablespoons every month or so). Don't water until the ground is dry for an inch under the surface. (06/27/2006)

By Marie Krause

RE: Hibiscus Leaves Turning Yellow

Mine does that every once in awhile too but it doesn't mean anything. I just pull them off. The plant is healthy and blooming. I just leave it alone but fertilize it every 2 weeks. (06/27/2006)

By Sandy

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthAugust 7, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Tomato Plants
Tomato Plants Leaves Turning Yellow
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 4:17:54 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 890 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings