Use Power Strips to Eliminate Energy Waste

If you seldom use your computer's peripherals, save money by plugging those devices into a separate plug-strip that you can switch 'on and off'. Even if you have your devices turned off, those little transformers are still drawing watts if plugged in. A separate plug strip (for those peripherals) turned 'off' will save you some money not a tremendous amount, but still savings. Just switch it on when you need to use one of the items.

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

This is something I do, not just with my computer peripherals, but wherever I can. My shredder, for example, is rarely used. That, I simply plug in just long enough to do the job. My coffeemaker is plugged in to a strip that only gets turned on long enough for the morning coffee. We're PIPP customers, and hubby won't usually read the details on the bill, but I know I'm saving!

One caution: if the item on the power strip is very expensive (like your computer,) you might want to "bite the bullet" and leave the strip on full-time. Even a $25/month savings on your electric bill isn't worth risking an item that costs $300 or more to replace if it gets fried! And that doesn't even factor in files that might not be recoverable!

I've found that some electronics, especially newer ones, actually draw very little power when they are off. But, older electronics can draw a lot of power. A good rule of thumb is to feel whether the transformer is warm after the device has been off for a while. If it is then it is probably wasting electricity.

The "Kill-A-Watt" is a great tool for determining how much electricity your gadgets draw. You can plug it into the wall between the outlet and your power strip and then check to see how much power is drawn by your electronics overnight.

November 14, 2010 Flag

Save money at home, cut down on your electric bills. Eliminate the so called "Energy Vampires" that eat electricity while not in use. We connected power strips to most of our electric appliances so we can shut them off without crawling around behind everything to pull the plugs, we just flip the switch on the power strip. Make sure you place the power strips where you can reach them easily. I put one on my microwave oven (I don't need another clock) and the coffee maker. All computers can be shut off this way, the TV, DVD and stereo are all on one power strip, I leave the DVR plugged in because it needs to receive nightly updates.

The cell phone chargers and the printer are on one strip. This really makes a difference on your bill, even if you turn it on in the morning and off at night when you go to bed you will still see a tremendous difference on your bills. If you shut them off every time you turn them off you will save even more. You can leave the bedroom TVs turned on at night, so the remote control will work in the morning, then shut it off all day long when it's not in use.

By Diane from Rochester, MI

Answers:

You will save money doing this. I have put all my electronic equipment on power strips and am saving $20.00-$25.00 on average per month from what I was paying prior to using power strips. The only electronic item not on a power strip is my digital cable TV box. It must stay powered on to receive the programming, tv guide, etc. (12/10/2008)

By St. )ete Ken

In the morning when you turn the power strips on, do you have to reset/reload channels, time, date, etc, on the TV, VCR/DVR, microwave, etc? (12/16/2008)

By susanmajp

I've heard of this before, yet never a percentage estimate on the power bill savings. Just how much would the average Nuclear Family save, I wonder? Woops... Never mind. I see you answered already! Thanks! :) (05/03/2009)

By Jessieflanj

Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy, Piggy Bank and Electric cord
Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy
Better Living Frugal Living TipsNovember 14, 2010
fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Freezer
Reducing Your Freezer's Energy Consumption
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out
🎉
🎄