Making Fleece Lap Blankets

A group of us ladies are planning to make fleece lap blankets for a local nursing home. We need to know what is a good size for those in a wheelchair. The fleece is 59-60 inches wide and we would like to make as many blankets as possible with as little waste as possible.

By Pam from Seminole, FL

Baby blanket size is good. It isn't so long that it gets caught in the wheel chair but it covers the legs and knees.

I used to volunteer in a nursing home and the blankets should be as long as the legs are, and wide enough to cover the whole lap, and maybe tuck in on the sides. If they are too short or too narrow, they will not be used. Sit down in a chair and measure yourself from side to side across your widest part, and then measure from your waist to your ankle. Add a couple more inches for good measure.

If you have to cut some fabric off, cut the strips into squares and then mix and match them with other scrap and sew them together to make quilts out of them. Or an easier method would be to sew all the strips together and leave them stripey.

I use 1 and 1/2 yards for each side & it seems to work just right!

Annacakes reply is good. I have a male family member in a rehab / nursing home facility and lap blankets are great. Be sure that there are some for the men, and be sure you have some for the larger patients. If you are making for one facility, you might consider asking the activities director if they have any plus-size adults.

November 19, 2011 Flag

I need an easy pattern for fleece lap blankets for the elderly. I would like to make some as Christmas gifts. Could someone help me please? Thanks.

By Martha

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google making lap blankets out of fleece, you will find all kinds of directions.

There are some great tips on the link posted with your question. You can also look here for a great video tutorial on making these no-sew fleece lap robes:

Or here: ... e+lap+robe+blanket&SUName=sewing

September 28, 2011 Flag

I need directions for making a fleece lap blanket for a nursing home patient. I saw a blog about it and was instructed to contact ThriftyFun for directions. Thanks!

By Kathy

I am not that good at giving specific directions, but my sis-in-law makes them. She uses 2 different colors of fleece, cut the same size. Then she pins them together, and makes cuts into the edges about 2-3 inches deep, and about an inch apart, making what looks like a chunky fringe.

Then you just tie the fringes of each piece together, like tying your shoes. That way the 2 pieces of fleece are attached, without any sewing. She uses colors appropriate to a person or season, such as one piece camo, and one piece hunter orange or green, to give to the hunters or men in the family. They are wonderfully warm, she has given us 4 over the past 5 years, and I love them, as I have a problem with my legs getting cold, no matter the weather!

Best of luck to you with this project.

You can even make smaller pet blankets using the same procedure.

Three Fleece Blankets
Making A Fleece Blanket
Crafts AdviceAugust 31, 2010
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
fleece tie blanket
Making Fleece Tie Blankets
Lap Quilt
Making a Lap Quilt
Crochet Edge Around a Fleece Blanket
Adding a Crochet Edge to a Fleece Blanket