Making Fleece Lap Blankets

Category Blankets
A green-blue fleece blanket.
Making a fleece blanket will help keep you or a loved one warm and makes a great gift. This is a guide about making fleece lap blankets.

A group of us ladies are planning to make fleece lap blankets for a local nursing home. We need to know what is a good size for those in a wheelchair. The fleece is 59-60 inches wide and we would like to make as many blankets as possible with as little waste as possible.

By Pam from Seminole, FL

Best Answer

I used to volunteer in a nursing home and the blankets should be as long as the legs are, and wide enough to cover the whole lap, and maybe tuck in on the sides. If they are too short or too narrow, they will not be used. Sit down in a chair and measure yourself from side to side across your widest part, and then measure from your waist to your ankle. Add a couple more inches for good measure.

If you have to cut some fabric off, cut the strips into squares and then mix and match them with other scrap and sew them together to make quilts out of them. Or an easier method would be to sew all the strips together and leave them stripey.

I need directions for making a fleece lap blanket for a nursing home patient. I saw a blog about it and was instructed to contact ThriftyFun for directions. Thanks!

By Kathy

Best Answer

I am not that good at giving specific directions, but my sis-in-law makes them. She uses 2 different colors of fleece, cut the same size. Then she pins them together, and makes cuts into the edges about 2-3 inches deep, and about an inch apart, making what looks like a chunky fringe.

Then you just tie the fringes of each piece together, like tying your shoes. That way the 2 pieces of fleece are attached, without any sewing. She uses colors appropriate to a person or season, such as one piece camo, and one piece hunter orange or green, to give to the hunters or men in the family. They are wonderfully warm, she has given us 4 over the past 5 years, and I love them, as I have a problem with my legs getting cold, no matter the weather!

Best of luck to you with this project.

You can even make smaller pet blankets using the same procedure.

I need an easy pattern for fleece lap blankets for the elderly. I would like to make some as Christmas gifts. Could someone help me please? Thanks.

By Martha

There are some great tips on the link posted with your question.