Old Fashioned Recipes

I collect recipes and I was wondering if anyone had any they would be willing to share with me. I am really interested in old fashion recipes and homemade recipes. Thank you.

By TinkBell from Toledo, OH

Jaime, I too like cooking old fashion & homemade recipes. I live in Dallas, TX and am fortunate to have great resources such our Public Library and a store chain called Half Price Books...where you can buy new books at half price used books for even less. They have a very large cook book section. I recently saw a book there that had old fashion recipes titled Lost Recipes Meals to Share with Friends and Family - by Marion Cummingham, author of the Fannie Famer Cookbook. Since I couldn't afford to buy a bk, I checked it out from the library. If you have a good public library they'll probably have it. I already have a few marked to try, like Scalloped Potatoes, Baked Squash with Butter and Maple Syrup, Rainy Day Vegetable Cobbler, Spanish Rice, and a cookie recipe called Hermits that is native to New England.

If you can't find this cookbook and are interested in any of them, contact me and I'll share them with you. Otherwise, if you can me more specific as to what category of a recipe you'd be interested in most I could see if I have ones you'd like.

Thank you I have been checking books out of the library also but it is a small library and I have some books on order. I am really interested in dinners and desserts. I love to cook for my family and I also have a a big cookbook collection, but I am always looking for more to add. I can never have enough. If you would like me to share some of my recipes with you just let me know what you like and I can do it. Thank you once again, Jaimie

Hi, Check out this site. All kinds of recipes including those of years past and you can even request something if you are looking for it.

Enjoy Tone~

I, too, enjoy "vintage" recipes.

Use "vintage recipes" when searching on the net. You get better results.

Try these sites:

This site has newspaper-printed recipes and family written recipe cards:

I don't know what its called but my mother in law made. She would cook rutabagas, turnips, with some pork; like pork chop meat. When it gets just about done she added a cabbage with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. It is really good. She has passed, but I still make it too. Enjoy!

This was something found in my Grama Tampourlos' possessions when she passed away in the 1970's and given to me. It was cut out of a magazine and from the type of paper and the type of print I believe it to be from the 1930's or 1940's. I could post a picture of it but I think the print would be too small to read so will type it out as it reads :-)

The article was titled "In Cherry-Time"

Cover unpitted cherries with cold water. Simmer them until they are very soft. Drain them as for jelly. Measure the juice and add one half cup sugar to each quart of juice. Bring the juice to a boil and seal in clean hot jars. This juice is excellent in beverages and frozen desserts.

Cherry Punch

2 cups water

1 3/4 cup sugar

4 cups cherry juice (the recipe just above)

1/4 cup lemon juice

Boil the sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and add the cherry juice, the lemon and a small piece of ice to cool the mixture. When ready to serve, add a small spray of mint to each glass.

Cherry Ice

4 cups water

2 1/4 cup sugar

2 cups cherry juice (same as first recipe above)

Juice of one lemon

Make a sirup [sic] by boiling water and sugar together for ten minutes. Cool the mixture, add the lemon and the cherry juice and freeze.

TinkBell, there is a magazine from Reiman Publications called Reminisce (sp?) that is full of nostagal and it has a lot of Depression era recipes. I live in Sylvania, OH. Small world.

Go to www.reimanpublications.com

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchAugust 19, 2009
Shredded Wheat & Eggs Recipes
Shredded Wheat & Eggs Recipes
stack of light creamy fudge
Recipes for Boston Creme Candy
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys