Browsing: Applying Acrylic Nails

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Applying Acrylic Nails

Applying your own acrylic nails can save you money over going to the nail salon. If done correctly, they can be just as durable. This is a guide about applying acrylic nails.

Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 16, 2013 Flag

I hear it over and over, clients and others blaming acrylic or gel polish or some other service for damage to their nails. I'm sorry, ladies, but it's not the product doing the damage. It's people who do damage to the nails, not the product. Yes, you're putting a product that sticks to your natural nail and sometimes when that product pops off or rips off, that does do damage. Of course it does. But if it is properly put on and properly removed, and cared for in between appointments, then your natural nail should be in good shape.Who's to Blame for Your Bad Nails?

So, who does the damage? One of two people or both who are caring for your nails; the client, and/or the nail tech. If you have a nail tech that goes at your nails roughly, improperly uses the e-file (electronic file, not "drill") then you will definitely, guaranteed to have damage done to your natural nail. Which, if you are having acrylic nails put on, you won't see till your nails are removed. Then you're blaming the acrylic when all the while it was your nail tech doing damage every time you came in for a fill.

Do your nails ever hurt when you get your acrylics done? Nail services should NEVER, EVER, hurt. Ever. Sure, sometimes you get nicked by a file and that's painful. But I've had clients tell me about seeing a nail tech and their fingers hurt for days afterwards. Seriously?! Then don't ever go back!

How does a client do damage to their nails? If you get a service done and then treat your nails like they're tools in between appointments then you're doing damage to your own nails. Lifting is caused by so many reasons that it's impossible to name them all. Don't use your nails as a tool, like to remove stickers from products, to pry things open, etc. Be kind to your nail extensions and you'll be much happier with your nails and you won't have all that damage that you're doing underneath your acrylics that you don't see until you have them removed. You just don't even think about all that twisting and flexing that goes on when you're being rough with your nails.

By the way, your nails do not breathe. You don't need to have your acrylics removed every month. That in and of itself causes most of the damage that is getting done to your nails. Discount salons like to always charge for full sets rather than just have you come in for fills. So, they tell you your nails need to be replaced because your nails need to breathe or whatever. Actually, it's less damaging to just leave your set on. Think about it, you get fills every 2 weeks so you're always growing your nails and always getting new product put on so in about a month or two you have fresh acrylic on your nails! Why get another full set? It's totally not necessary and not even recommended by reputable nail tech's.

You get what you pay for in this industry. If you want a reputable nail tech that is well trained and wants to do a good job and keep your natural nails healthy, then don't go to a discount salon that only cares about making money and cranking people out on a regular basis.

I am a Board Certified Nail Technician and I care about giving my best to all my clients. There's too much misinformation out there. Educate yourself which not only helps you know what to expect from your nail tech but it keeps your nails safe and healthy.

Directions:

July 24, 2006 Flag

I have just trained as a nail technician and I am finding things very hard. When I have applied the acrylic it looks great but after buffing I am getting lines in the acrylic and the tip seems a bit lumpy and bumpy. Please help, I am losing heart.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hey, I have a question I have been out of nail school for about a year now and Ive been doing natural nail care. I want to start to get into acrylics, but I don't remember much from school how to apply them. Is there a tape with what products to buy so I can practice at home? Or just a video with training? Or any workshops? Thanks for any help you can provide. Newbee

I have started doing my own nails and they look pretty good except the cuticle area. When it grows out a little it is sharp feeling around the edges and not smooth. What am I doing wrong? I am not interested in doing this for a living as I am retired and just like to learn things as a pastime and I rather not go to a salon if I can do them myself. best.gg AT hotmail.com

Hi I bought some nails at our local pharmacy and I ran out of glue, can I just use super glue instead? How will i be able to get the nails off?

Editor's Note: Do not use superglue on any part of your body. Acrylic nails are difficult to remove using the correct type of glue. I would consult a nail technician or beauty supply store.

I want to get acrylic nails with an airbrushed white tip can you please tell me the steps that the nail salon will do it in and how will my nails look after they remove the acrylics of my natural nails.

I am a retired beautician but still keep up my license. I want to apply my own acrylic to my nails but I never get a nice line around the cuticle and wonder if I get it on too thin--do I need to apply it thicker so it doesn't feel "sharp" and look like an "edge" instead of a rounded look?? Am I holding my grinder in the wrong position? I would appreciate any help as this is my new hobby to do myself. Pat

September 5, 2010 Flag

I had a full set of acrylic fitted yesterday, the nail person made my cuticles bleed. Today my fingers are really sore, is this normal?

By Se from Lancashire

I don't think so Enchanted Angel! After talking to several people, whom have got acrylic nails, they say I have had a very bad job! by a rubbish nail novice person. I may sue her yet, my fingers are still sore 4 days after. I just wished I should have gone to a proper salon, I will never go to a cheap person again.

You should not have bleeding! Please keep in mind that in a situation where blood gets out, bacteria can get in. Since you've posted this question on a thrifty web site, I'm going to comment that in addition to taking potential risks with your health (I know of people who've had serious infections from nail salons), there may be better things to spend your money on.

Yes, I agree with Enchanted Angel. I have been getting my nails done over 10 years now. I have them filled in and repainted every 2 weeks. Every now and then I get them removed and have a new set put on. My own nails have grown out now, so I only get hardening gel put over my real nails. I have tried to keep my own set without anything on top, but I still bite them and pick at them. I dont do that when I have the acrylic hardening stuff put on them. Mine hurt when I first had them put on because I wasnt used to them yet.

I did this for years and went to different nail salons all the time. I remember once my fingers hurt for a few days and it was because the nail person filed down the tops of the nails too much and they were thin. I know this because the next time I got them done, that person told me that they were filed down too much.

The next time I had to change my nails - boy it hurt to take them off! I stopped getting my nails done and let them grow out. It is so bad for your nails to do that. I feel great now that there are no more appointments, and I'm saving a lot of money!

You said you got bleeding while pushing back cuticles. Acrylic liquid should not applied to the damaged bleeding nails. I suppose your beautician done something very wrong. The products use to apply acrylic nails are very toxic. You better to visit your doctor and stop doing acrylic nails for few days until you recover. For more information visit http://www.acrylicnails1.com/

April 2, 2015 Flag

This is my very first time doing this at home. I normally go to a salon, but just figured I would save some money. My question is, when you do your own nails at home, do you have to use the dehydrating liquid and do you have to use the nail primer? Those are the only two things I didn't buy.

By Ashley

Yes you do need them, unless your acrylic liquid has a built in primer then you only need dehydrator.

May 15, 2012 Flag

After applying acrylic and all said in done. I notice after a day or two they start to lift. Why? What am I doing wrong and what can I do to keep from having this happen again?

By Magan V.

Make sure to get all oil off natural nails and push cuticles back and lightly buff the nail plate.

Andy AT Fazzoom.com

This will usually happen if you do them yourself. Get them professionally done next time if you want to avoid that. More money, but worth it.

I disagree with going to a salon, if they are lifting then you probably have oils on the nail. You can save literally thousands of dollars doing it yourself, I do my own and a friends and the turn out beautiful and rarely lose any. My only dilema is when I apply it, it is not smooth like the videos, if I use my liquid then it runs down on the sides and bulks there.

April 27, 2012 Flag

I tried the quick dip acrylic and found I can see some of the powder still in the nail after I'm completely finished. I've also had this trouble on regular acrylics, occasionally, just not as bad. I'm not sure what to do. I own a salon and am trying to get better at the acrylic. I've done gel for a while, but for some reason I'm having trouble with this. Help?

By Amanda

I think you should go to school and get certified for this. If you already have then you should go back to the school for more instruction.

May 4, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsAugust 10, 2011
Applying for a Passport, US Passport on White Background
Applying for a Passport
Applying Nail Wraps
Applying Nail Wraps
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 4:09:17 AM on 10.0.0.134 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.