Removing Cloudy Stain From Purell On Wood

I used Purell hand santitizer to remove permanent marker stains from an oak table (I have used Purell before without problems). The marker stains are gone but it left a cloudy white stain on the table. I have tried baking soda, toothpaste and paper towels with a iron. Please help!

Susan from IA

Sounds like the alcohol in the purell ate into the finish thats on the wood. The only solution that I know of is to sand down and refinish.

Try rubbing the spot with white toothpaste. Let set for about 20 minutes, then buff with a soft cloth. This method has worked to remove white cloudy spots from my dining room table caused by sitting a hot plate directly on the table. It can't hurt.

Try infusing some tea bags in a bowl of hot water- til it's as close to the colour of the table as possible- allow to cool. Then with a cloth-dip into the tea solution and rub over the mark. It MAY blend the mark in with the rest of the table that way.

If you are unsure to begin with try a test piece under the table where no one can see.

I am told this is a good way to cover up stains on wood.

Good luck

Monique x

Somerset. UK

it certainly sounds like something, probably the alcohol in the purell removed the stain from the wood. You can purchase pens of wood stain at paint stores that are meant to be used to correct such problems,if it is solid wood not plastic veneer over fiberboard. Also if you can match the color, try permanent marker and wax used for wood, but the stain touchup marker pen would be better, I think.

try mayonaise. Let stand a short while then wipe off with a clean cloth. It worked on a water stain for me.

Didn't have any mayonnaise, so thought I'd try some "Miracle" Whip just for grins. It worked! And we also learned a valuable lesson, keep the Purell high on the shelf, away from the grandkids.

Hand Sanitizer
Removing Hand Sanitizer Stains on Wood
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJuly 1, 2007
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄