VegetablesRecipes

Recipe for Mushroom Business

I am looking for a recipe from the 'Peg Bracken's Appendix' to the I Hate To Cook cookbook, called Mushroom Business.

Ann from CA

Hi Ann from CA. Presently, I'm in Modesto, CA :) I don't know if this is the same recipe as Peg Bracken's, but I found this on the RecipZaar site: http://www.recipezaar.com/32085 I hope this helps.

Hi Ann from CA. Presently, I'm in Modesto, CA :) I don't know if this is the same recipe as Peg Bracken's, but I found this on the RecipZaar site: http://www.recipezaar.com/32085 I hope this helps. Ok...I realize this is going to post twice as I forgot to sign in before I posted the first one :D Sorry about that!

ann:

here is the direct recipe from the book:

saute 1/2 to 1 pound of fresh mushrooms, coarsely sliced, in butter, just enough so they start to smell like mushrooms. (don't peel them or wash them in water before you do this; just wipe them with a damp rag.)

butter three slices of white bread, cut them in 1-inch squares, and put them in a casserole dish.

combine the mushrooms with

1/2 cup each of mayonnaise

chopped onion 3/4 teaspoon salt

chopped celery 1/4 teaspoon pepper

chopped green pepper

and put it on the bread squares.

now cut three more slices of buttered bread the same way. put them in next, and pour over it 2 eggs slightly beaten with 11/2 cups of milk.

it doesn't matter when you do this --- the morning before, if you like ---- just so it's refrigerated at least one hour.

finally, an hour before you want to serve it, spoon a can of undiluted mushroom soup over it, and two more slices of bread, diced smaller. bake it at 300 for 60 to 70 minutes, or 325 for 50-60 minutes. about 10 minutes before it's done, sprinkle some grated yellow cheese on top.

6-8 servings

hugs

lc

Ann, here is the recipe from Peg's book. Sauté 1/2 to 1 lb. of fresh mushrooms, coarsely sliced, in butter, just enough so they start to smell like mushrooms. (Don't peel them or wash them in water before you do this; just wipe them with a damp rag.)

Butter 3 slices of white bread, cut them in 1" squares, and put them in a casserole dish.

Combine the mushrooms with: 1/2 cup each of chopped onion, mayonnaise, 3/4 tsp. salt, chopped celery, chopped green pepper, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and put it on the bread squares.

Now cut 3 more slices of buttered bread the same way. Put them in next, and over it pour 2 eggs slightly beaten with 1-1/2 cups milk.

It doesn't matter when you do this - the morning before, if you like - just so it's refrigerated at least one hour.

Finally, an hour before you want to serve it, spoon a can of undiluted mushroom soup over it, and two more slices of bread, diced smaller. Bake it at 300° for sixty to seventy minutes, or 325° for fifty to sixty minutes. About 10 minutes before it's done, sprinkle some grated yellow cheese on top.

I'm glad that I had Peg's book so that I was able to help you. Enjoy the recipe and happy eating! Ruby

http://www.astr  hroom%20business

Well, you rec'd so many responses. I googled it and here is one of the sites that came up. Hope we were able to help you.