Making an Outdoor Decoration from an Old Cowboy Hat

I need to know how I go about making an old cowboy hat into a decoration that will stand being outside at a gravesite?

By Kimberly from Apache Junction, AZ

Have you thought about painting it inside and out with polyurethane, or even clear shellac?

You can try a tiny bit of what you want to try on a small spot on the inside, maybe under the sweat band, to make sure it won't damage the hat.

That was the thought that i had had. Thanks I will try that.

I would hate for it to be damaged by the elements, though in Arizona (I was born there, live in KY now) the most damaging element is the sun. You need to find something that would protect it from the sun, and polyurethane will be damaged by the sun.

If it is really important to you, maybe you could get it bronzed. Everybody used to do that with their baby's first pair of shoes. There are people that still do it. I am a notorious penny pincher and sometimes as much as it hurts, it pays to just spend the money.

Gravesite with flowers.
Gravesite Decoration Ideas
Crafts MiscellaneousAugust 15, 2010
baby at photo shoot
Making a 1st Birthday Hat and Diaper Cover
A boy dressed as a cowboy.
Cowboy Themed Party Ideas
LIttle Boy in Cowboy Costume
Making a Cowboy Costume
Lighted Outdoor Christmas Wreath
Repairing a Lighted Outdoor Christmas Decoration
🎉
🎄