Product FinderConsumer Advice

Better Litterbox for Cat Who Pees Over the Side

My female cat does not squat when she pees and therefore it goes everywhere. I've tried different litter boxes and have gone to a 17 inch high tote and she still goes over the edge. Help! Are there any covered litter boxes without vents (the pee sprays out of them and gets stuck in them and stinks) or any other suggestions?

By Deb from OH

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a cat that does this!! We tried everything and finally got a covered cat box and she still does what yours does. The vet said it isn't a medical problem and that it might just be an unusual habit. I haven't tried this yet, but my mom suggested that you put a big plastic garbage bag around the box. That way, when she pees, it will go in the bag and not all over. Then when you clean out the litter, just rinse out the bag and let it dry. Hope this helps. Let me know.

Have you seen the clever cat litter box? It is a top entry box that is fairly tall. It reminds me of a rubbermaid container with a hole in the lid. Only the very top comes off so there are no places for the urine to leak out of. Goodluck!

I know folks who have bought a large tote box (like Rubbermaid) and cut a hole for the cat to get in (on the side) this is so tall that there is no way for urine to get outside of this box. From what they say, it works well.