Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

Best Answer

I just lost the love of my life, my collie, Bailey. I can tell you that I would never try any home remedies to cure a problem. I know it is expensive, but you need to go with what your vet recommends. Maybe there is another vet in your area that could treat it a little cheaper? I would NEVER recommend trying anything else but what the professionals say to do.

Best Answer

Go to a different vet! My vet charged $25 for one dog and $33 for the other - don't really know why, but they got different medications. That's a lot cheaper, tho, than what your vet quoted. By the way, they sold me the pills to give the dogs myself - I didn't have to pay them to dose the dogs.

Best Answer

Go to a local Feed & Seed store or even some small private owned pharmacy, and ask for the medicine to treat tapeworms in dogs. The pharmacy we have sold me the meds for less than $3. You will have to know how much your dog weighs. That will determine which and how much meds it will need.

Best Answer

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and there is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please apply advantage or frontline to your fur baby. Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for the proper medication to treat her. Good luck

Cabage will remove the tape worms

Best Answer

If you value your dog's life, then she needs a doctor just like you do sometimes. In the summertime use something (Diatomacious earth or Frontline) to keep the fleas off of her so she doesn't get tapeworms in the first place. I hope you are aware that Tapeworms can and will kill a dog if not treated.

Diatomacious earth. Must be food grade. In food every day. DE for intestinal worms. I get mine from earthworkshealth.com. Inexpensive. A natural product. Effective. Google uses. Surprise!! Good for humans also. Tapeworms come from flea hosts. See my past postings on natural flea control. Borax in carpets, bath with non poisoned soap, build immune system, Good health diet with NO corn wheat or soy. Corn especially brings on bad skin. See my past postings, please.

1 tsp pumpkin seed ground to a fine powder for every 10 lb

Grated garlic clover mixed w food and its good for their immune system too

Lemon 1/2 teaspoon for every 4 day for a week it works on my chiuhaua and ive had her since she was born an now she is 16 years i use lemon on all my pups

February 21, 2011 Flag

I too am looking for a "home made" recipe for tape worms for my neighbor's 2 dogs. Is there anyone on this site who can help me and my neighbor? My neighbor will have to get her answers through me, as she doesn't have a computer.

By crazyladyinalabama from south AL

August 12, 2009 Flag

What should I do to rid my dog of tapeworms? We have seen them coming out his behind. The vet wants $80 per dog, and we have 3. Any other ideas? Thank you.

Sara from Altadena, CA

Answers:

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

You can try online sources for PetMeds, but I don't know how effective this will be. (11/07/2006)

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

I just lost the love of my life, my collie, Bailey. I can tell you that I would never try any home remedies to cure a problem. I know it is expensive, but you need to go with what your vet recommends. Maybe there is another vet in your area that could treat it a little cheaper? I would never recommend trying anything else, but what the professionals say to do. (11/07/2006)

By Robin

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. There is "not" a home remedy to get rid of tapeworms. I would call around to your local vet hospitals and ask for a multi-pet discount. Your dogs must be injected with a medication called Droncit. This medication is the most effective for this. There is not an over the counter medication. Calling a company like Pet-Meds requires a prescription from your veterinarian. It would be less costly to go to your local clinic, I would even call the local shelter and ask them.
Take care.
(11/07/2006)

By Sherri

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

Go to a local Feed and Seed store or even some small private owned pharmacy, and ask for the medicine to treat tapeworms in dogs. The pharmacy we have sold me the medication for less than $3. You will have to know how much your dog weighs. That will determine which and how much medication it will need. (11/07/2006)

By Casey

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

This is part of the cost of being a responsible pet owner. I've never seen these meds in any on-line source. The pills are dolled out with the weight of the pet in mind. I had a Rottie, and it was always more to take care of him than my other, much smaller dog.

I spend about $30.00 getting the pills for each of my cats, and I do not live in a high cost area. There are several types of meds that you can get though, and some are much more expensive than others, the two pill variety does cost more. Check another vet if possible.

If not, call to see if he has another type of med available to you that may be cheaper, even if not as convenient. If you do get one that needs multiple pills, make sure you give them all, and don't scrimp to try to save money. Doing so may cause your pet health problems. (11/08/2006)

By susanmajp

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

Beware: tapeworms and fleas come hand in hand. In order to prevent having to pay for multiple tapeworm treatments for your dogs, treat them for fleas at the same time. (11/09/2006)

By Guest

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

We have 5 Chihuahuas, that are outside trained. Our area was so bad about tapeworms. It was costing me a fortune to take 5 dogs to the vet. I found out that there is a pill that covers tapeworm, it is combined with other worms also, but, tapeworm is the main ingredient's job to destroy.

The pill goes by weight, and for a 7 pound fat Chihuahua, it cost me $5 for one pill. The other dogs were smaller, but each got the one pill treatment. I just stick it in peanut butter and they love it. The pills work wonderfully. Ask your vet for the pill, I buy it over the counter at our Animal Hospital vet.
(11/10/2006)

By Glinda

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs-HOME REMEDY

You don't need to go to a vet to simply kill tapeworms. Just Google Praziquantel. Pills are sold separately for cats and dogs. You can also buy at Tractor Supply.

Jim in Jax (12/04/2006)

By smartfell-r

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

Yes you can get over the counter meds that kills tapeworms. I used a Farnam Pill and another company called Happy Jack made a pill those both worked. Problem is you can't get those anymore. You can now use D-Worm it is the one that is a lighter blue and for tapeworms. It is sold at Pet Smart and places like this. Another one is Tape Worm. I found it all over the internet. It is not too costly. You can always check with places like Farm Land. Any place that sells grains, hay things like that. They can help you find a product that kills tapeworms. (07/16/2007)

By PadPal

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

I forgot to say I admire you for asking. The D-Worm is same as Droncit and the other one called Tape Worm is Praziquantel. These do kill tape worms and are over the counter. Praziquantel (Droncit) - VeterinaryPartner.com, a VIN company. The Praziquantel is what Droncit contains. (07/16/2007)

By PadPal

Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

Well, studies have show that pumpkin seeds kill tapeworms in humans so it should do the same in dogs. That sounds safe to me. (11/03/2008)

A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 21, 2011
Hyperactive dog with a ball in its mouth.
Remedies for Hyperactive Dogs
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
🎄