Taking Apart a TV

Our 25 year old big screen TV has finally died. I want to save the cabinet and use it for a new TV. Is it safe to tear the insides out? I've heard that something in the guts of the thing holds electricity and you could get an electrical shock if you tried to remove anything from the insides.

By Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

The capacitor stores electricity and needs to be discharged before handling. You may want to do a yahoo search on how to discharge a capacitor or have somebody with an electrical background do this for you.

My sister just kicked hers out!

Thank you, lbrady, for including "capacitor" in your answer. I was able to google good instructions for my husband, and he was able to talk halfway intelligently to an electrician. He has made a lot of progress on that old TV, and it looks good! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my request.

I'd be MORE than cautious because those are VERY heavy and could have a Mercury Vacuum seal as well as something electical that could explode like a Flourescent bulb when even sloightly cracked! Read more online about it before daring to do anything or even allowing someone else in your home to do it.

Read all warnings in the original owner's manual if you still have it! Read fine print, but especially the

WARNINGS. Good luck and may God watch over you and give you wisdom. : )

Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 27, 2009
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Pizza Pull Apart Recipes
Pizza Pull Apart Recipes
Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread Recipes
Muffin Tin Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
Muffin Tin Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread Recipes