Storing Brooms and Mops

Category Kitchen
An untidy mess can develop in a utility closet or corner of the kitchen. This guide is about storing brooms and mops.

Brooms and mops left standing on their bristles or heads wear out sooner. It is worth the investment to buy a plastic hanging storage piece for them.

By Robin

My Mum used to always store her brushes upright, balanced on their handle end for this reason. (Leaning on the wall I mean not just balanced - lol!)

Regards

Jo

My mother had a cabinet in her kitchen just for brooms and mops. This was so convenient that it took very little effort to whip out that broom and sweep. It was originally a model home with a few extras like double linen closets and 2 huge coat closets. There's something to be said for the little extras that make a home more livable. Sigh...

In my home, I ended up hanging all of the brooms, mops... on the garage wall just outside the kitchen. Dh didn't like that. I learned he somehow thought of the garage as 'his' space (he can have it).

So we leaned the tools in the garage against the wall, in the corner, and eventually one fell down and blocked the garage door. The bristles would bend too much. Not a satisfactory solution.

Then K-Mart went out of business where I live and I saw the perfect solution to this nagging problem. It's actually commercially available as a broom holder (and deeper than the wand holder so the brooms don't fall over). In this case, it was the holder for watering wands. The store had clearanced all the wands and there was nothing left but this empty holder that just called my name. I stood there, staring at it for a while, and then realized it would be perfect for storing upside down brooms and mops.

I did an internet search to post the info for the actual item, and couldn't find it, but found something that would be just as useful.

This is somewhat similar to what I am describing:

http://www.stac  -with-wheels.htm

The item I am referring to can best be described as an upside down box with holes on the top for broom sticks and a platform deep inside where the broom end can rest snuggly.

Tried making one out of a large box some time ago, but it wasn't sturdy enough to hold this kind of weight.