Making A Coconut Leaf Broom
Natural fibers, such as broom corn, have long been used to make brooms. Despite the fact that many commercially manufactured brooms are now assembled using synthetic bristles, you can still make one at home.
If you have a coconut palm in your yard, this project may be just the one for you. Give it a try using the tutorial provided.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
The coconut tree in Tahiti is very important to the way of life here on the island. We use the tree for food, water, to make roofs for our homes, decorations, costumes, and even cleaning. Using the coconut leaves we can make a broom that we use in our homes to clean the floors. The broom is sturdy and can also be used in the garden to sweep up leaves, clean spider webs away, or even be used for beating rugs clean.
Total Time: 3 to 4 Hours
Yield: 1 Broom
- 2 large coconut leaves
- 1 knife
- string or elastic
- Remove each of the leaves from the main branch of the coconut palm. You can do this by just pulling down on the leaf. It comes off easily.
- The small leaf needs to be folded in half. Take your knife and stick the knife through the leaf close to the stem in the middle of the leaf.
- Slide the knife down to the end of the leaf. This will leave the stem of the leaf-free. Remove the pieces of the leaf from the stem.
- Use the knife to clean the stem and remove the rest of the leaf from the stem. You want the stem cleaned with the entire part of the leaf removed.
- Continue to clean the stems of the coconut palm and place them in a pile. Once you have a large package of the stems you can now tie them together at the bottom. You will use a piece of string or an elastic band to hold them in place. You can use the boom immediately or leave the broom to fully dry out. When the boom is fully dried the stems will turn a dark brown color. The broom lasts for years and it is very hard to break. Some of the stems at the top that are too thin will break off. This does not matter because it just makes the broom stronger.