Share Crafts

Can You Fix Sweaters That Have Shrunk?

How can you fix a wool sweater that shrunk? Or can you?

By Melissa

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Free2B 217 350 01/18/2011

I don't think you can stretch it back out, unless it shrank just a tiny bit. Hot water "felts" wool. About all you can do is give it to someone smaller. you could felt it down more by putting it in a hot wash load with a few other things. Then you have a thick fabric, and can cut out pot holders, or something like that. Sorry!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By gem 154 261 01/19/2011

I overheard some ladies talking at the doctors office and they were reading a magazine and it was talking about shrunken sweaters. The article said to take the sweater and soak it in fabric softener for an hour and then rinse and lay out flat.
Not having done this personally I have no idea if it would work or not.
Good Luck,

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Can You Fix Sweaters That Have Shrunk?

Help I just washed several sweaters in cold water and now they look like they belong to a small child. Does anyone know how to get them back to their original size?

Michelle from PA

RE: Can You Fix Sweaters That Have Shrunk?

Try www.cheapskate monthly; then go to the archives. Mary Hunt had just that situation awhile ago and seems to me it was fairly easy. Best of luck! (12/27/2004)

By Marian.

There may be no way to fix them, but a friend of mine uses shrunken woolen sweaters to make tea cozies. Just boil until shrunken very tightly, then from the inside draw your pattern and stitch with a surging stitch or tight zigzag stitch. Then when you cut just outside the stitching it will not unravel. (12/28/2004)

By Debra

You might want to try soaking sweater in room temp to warm water. Add some hair conditioner to the water and very carefully start to shape it the way you want. Lay it on a terry cloth towel and put another towel over it and roll to get water out of sweater. Lay flat to dry. (01/01/2005)

By Diamondee

Haven't tried this but I saved it for when I need it.

This is the most amazing thing and it actually works to fix a sweater that you have accidentally shrunk with hot water in the washing machine. Fill a pasta pot 3/4 of the way full of water and add 16 oz. or one medium size bottle of white vinegar. Bring these two to a boil; they smell terrible. Wet the sweater in any temperature water and then drop the sweater into the pot. Turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes. Dump all the liquid and the sweater into the sink and let the water drain out. Now cover the sweater with cold water and you will be amazed to see that it has returned to its regular size. Hope it helps. (01/18/2005)

By L. Honeywl