Growing English Laurel From Cuttings

I'm trying to propagate English Laurel. I need a super-fast growing hedge for privacy and can't afford to buy the plants. But I DO have access to cuttings.

Here's what I've tried so far: I'm using flat plastic boxes about 4 " deep with just sand in some and plant soil mixed with sand in others. I cut the little darlings off their mother hedge and let them soak up water in a vase for 2 days, then I clipped them off just under a "Leaf Node" and scored the bottom inch vertically with a knife then dipped them into rooting powder nad planted them into the sand. Some I cut from the bush in the Spring, and some in July. (I've heard Fall or Spring is best?)

But, I killed off about half of the cuttings because someone told me to and cover the whole bunch with clear plastic and make a sort-of "terrarium" for them because they love moisture. I only covered them for 3 days, but most of them died during those 3 days, (I think from moisture rot?) So, I took the plastic off them and pulled out the leaves and stems. I've heard "Good Drainage" is the key. But I water them before they dry out. They are on the North side of my Mobile Home. (mostly in the shade, except in the early morning)

I have just bought some Perlite and was thinking of using this in place of sand for new cuttings. Will it work, or should I mix it with sand too? If any of you has made successful rooted cuttings from English Laurel, your help would be very much appreciated! Help!

Cyinda from near Seattle

Hi neighbor - I'm over here on the dry side in Moses Lake. There is a way to get them to grow roots before you even cut them off the mother plant. Call your county extension office and ask for the Master Gardeners, their advice is expert and FREE. God bless!

Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsJuly 15, 2007
English Ivy Leaf
Growing English Ivy
California Laurel Borer
California Laurel Borer Information and Photos
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings