FurnitureCleaning

My Fake Leather Couch Leaves stains on Clothes!

Category Furniture

I've got an amazing fake leather couch set that has reclining chairs and a foldaway bed that's been sitting around unused for awhile in a storage warehouse. The problem is that the couch every so often will leave stains on the backs of shirts and sometimes pants. I've tried all-purpose cleaner and leather cleaner to minimal effect. Please help me with ideas!

Greg

Have you tried using Scotchgard? It's a cheap and easy way to tame the leather beast. Good luck.

Hi,

This sounds like the leather had not been sealed properly. If this is the case a Good wipe down with a vinegar soaked cloth should seal the pores of the leather and thus prevent the curing agent from rubbing of. Also you may consider going to a store that sells scotchguard and try spraying that on it . Just an Idea... hope it helps!

If it is a fake leather, I'd clean it good with Armorall. You can buy it at the auto parts store. That should seal it and also clean off any extra dye.

- Susan

Greg, I am having a similar problem, and was wondering if any of those solutions worked? Thanks a Bunch!

What's the difference between fake and real leather? (I'm terribly sorry for changing subjects, but it's a question I need to get off my chest)

Hi, for me, the problem is in reverse. I just bought an expensive pair of white jeans which I like very much, and it was stained in the wash by the leather name/brand emblem/tag on the waistband on the back of the jean.

Any suggestions to get this red/orange brown stain out of the jeans?

Fake leather is a type of vinyl so don't use leather products on it. Call a furniture store and see if they can help you. If you bought it new I'd ask them about a replacement. It shouldn't shed color.