Advice for Making Apple Pie

I need some advice on making apple pies. I never know which apples bake the best, and can never seem to remember what I used the time before either. Also the last time I made one it was very runny. Not sure if I used too many apples, or to much sugar. Even after sitting in the fridge for a day, it was very runny. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mary

FYI

http://www.ochef.com/855.htm

If the pie is too sweet, cut down on the amount of sugar. I always use 2 tablespoons of corn starch, which helps thicken it, so it's not so runny.

Here is a nice chart to apples.

http://www.theapplebarn.com/apple-types.shtml

My favorite is gravenstien. They are tart, but bake well. However, if you want a consistant pie each time, you may want to go with canned apples. Or, you can try the mock apple pie. Google that recipe, and you will find a pie made with ritz crackers and applesauce that people say they can't tell the difference.

As for the runniness, you probably just didn't put enough apples. I agree with the earlier poster, some corn starch will help. When you find a recipe you like, tape it to the inside of your bakery cupboard door, or make it the only one you keep in the recipe box. Good luck.

I like to add a spoon of tapioca to my fruit pies to prevent them from being runny.

I use a mixture of granny smith and golden delicious and get great feedback from my family. As long as you are messing up the kitchen with pie crust why not make two pies? Don't cut the vent holes in the second pie, cover top with a paper plate and wrap the whole thing in heavy duty foil. Freeze and when you want to bake it, unwrap it, cut the vent holes, and bake as usual from the frozen state but add 10-15 minutes to the cooking time. Folks will think you spent the day baking! Works for most fruit pies.

I've found the best apples for pie are the Granny Smith or Gravenstein apples. I think the Gravenstein apples are mostly found on the west coast as I've never seen them here in the midwest or south. As for the pie being runny, it's most likely because you used a sweet eating apple rather than the cooking/baking apple. I hope this helps when making another apple pie.

Be sure to add flour to your sugar. Place butter pats on top of the filling before adding top crust. I've used just about every kind of apple there is for pies. Apple pie is my favorite desert and I can't tell much difference in various apples in pies.

I find that instant tapioca works best for thickening.

The next time you get a recipe that works, write it down and tape it to the inside of a kitchen cupboard door. That's where I keep all my valuable, workable kitchen hints and information. The information is always available right there where and when I need it!

Mary, Here is my recipe for Apple Pie.(I use Granny Smith apples)--8 cups pared,cored and thinly sliced apples---1/3 cup packed brown sugar--1/3 cup granulated sugar--1 Tbs. cornstarch(or 2 Tbs flour)--1 tsp, cinnamon--1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix together well and set aside for about 10 minutes. --Line 9 inch pie pan with bottom crust--add apples--place several pats of butter over apples---Put top crust on pie--seal edges. Bake in 425 degree oven(preheated) for 40 to 50 minutes. Apples should be tender when you pierce them with a fork. I hope this works for you. Judy in Alabama

Photo of a baked apple pie.
Apple Pie Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Pies AppleJuly 23, 2008
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
🎉
🎄