What is the Best Apple for Making Apple Pie?

What is the best type of apple to use in making an apple pie?

By elaine from Berwick, ME

I've been told Granny Smith's are the best for making home made apple pies because they don't get mushy.

I agree with Lorelei, Granny Smith's are the best. They hold their shape after cooking and they lend a wonderful sweet/tart flavor to the pie. I have used other apples but the Granny Smith's are my favorite.

My Mom always uses 3 different types- 2 granny smiths, 2 pink lady (pink crisp) and 2 of what ever kind suits her fancy that day (Macintosh). She says the different tastes and textures make for a more interesting and delicious pie.

I think Pippin Apples are the best. If you can find them. If I find a pie made with Pippin Apples I will buy it. They are the best.

I like to use Golden Delicious apples! They hold their shape while baking yet are sweeter and become a little softer than Granny Smith.

I find Granny Smith or Golden Delicious are great for making pies. Also now and then I use tinned apples, which are good too. Jean, Gippsland Australia

I did an experiment with different apples and made some pies, and I found that even Granny Smith got mushier in the pie. The best one that kept it's shape was Fuji. So now, I either use Fuji, or mix them with other apples so there are some firm pieces in the pie.

I usually use whatever apple I have on hand which is usally Gala &/or Red Delicious & I use a combination of them both if I need that much for the pie I am making & I don't like my apples cooked too too long, just tender enough but not long enough to turn to mush or lose shape. I cover outside crust edges w/strips of tin toil if browing too much. I really don't think there is a magic or must use kind of apples for pie. Just the right spices & baking time that is not too long. After 45 mins to an hr, check with a fork to test for doneness of apples. I hope I explained so you could understand what I mean.

I grew up on an apple and pear orchard in the Wenatchee Valley of Washington State. I prefer Roman Beauties for cooking if you can find them.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 27, 2011
🍀
💘