Apple Pie Tips and Tricks

Category Pastries
Photo of a baked apple pie.
Bake this American favorite tonight. This is a guide about apple pie tips and tricks.

Fall has arrived and so have a selection of good pie apples. Thru experimentation I have found these three tips to help make your warm Apple Pie delicious and almost perfect every time!

1. Use a variety of apples, like a tart Granny Smith or Pippin with a sweet Golden Delicious or Jonagold.

2. The secret to a crispy pie crust? Place the pie on a preheated cookie sheet and bake in the lower third of your oven.

3. For best results, cut the fruit uniformly in size - I get perfect wedges with Oxo's Corer/Wedger ($11.50; oxo.com), or if you have a Linen's and Things store, they usually offer a 20% off coupon in the Sunday morning ads. Use it and save more on the Corer/Wedger.

Now go bake a great apple pie. I can smell it baking now. YUM!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

I need some advice on making apple pies. I never know which apples bake the best, and can never seem to remember what I used the time before either. Also the last time I made one it was very runny. Not sure if I used too many apples, or to much sugar. Even after sitting in the fridge for a day, it was very runny. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mary

FYI

http://www.ochef.com/855.htm

If the pie is too sweet, cut down on the amount of sugar. I always use 2 tablespoons of corn starch, which helps thicken it, so it's not so runny.

Here is a nice chart to apples.

http://www.thea  pple-types.shtml

My favorite is gravenstien. They are tart, but bake well. However, if you want a consistant pie each time, you may want to go with canned apples. Or, you can try the mock apple pie. Google that recipe, and you will find a pie made with ritz crackers and applesauce that people say they can't tell the difference.

As for the runniness, you probably just didn't put enough apples. I agree with the earlier poster, some corn starch will help. When you find a recipe you like, tape it to the inside of your bakery cupboard door, or make it the only one you keep in the recipe box. Good luck.

I like to add a spoon of tapioca to my fruit pies to prevent them from being runny.

I use a mixture of granny smith and golden delicious and get great feedback from my family. As long as you are messing up the kitchen with pie crust why not make two pies? Don't cut the vent holes in the second pie, cover top with a paper plate and wrap the whole thing in heavy duty foil. Freeze and when you want to bake it, unwrap it, cut the vent holes, and bake as usual from the frozen state but add 10-15 minutes to the cooking time. Folks will think you spent the day baking! Works for most fruit pies.

I've found the best apples for pie are the Granny Smith or Gravenstein apples. I think the Gravenstein apples are mostly found on the west coast as I've never seen them here in the midwest or south. As for the pie being runny, it's most likely because you used a sweet eating apple rather than the cooking/baking apple. I hope this helps when making another apple pie.

Be sure to add flour to your sugar. Place butter pats on top of the filling before adding top crust. I've used just about every kind of apple there is for pies. Apple pie is my favorite desert and I can't tell much difference in various apples in pies.

I find that instant tapioca works best for thickening.

The next time you get a recipe that works, write it down and tape it to the inside of a kitchen cupboard door. That's where I keep all my valuable, workable kitchen hints and information. The information is always available right there where and when I need it!

Mary, Here is my recipe for Apple Pie.(I use Granny Smith apples)--8 cups pared,cored and thinly sliced apples---1/3 cup packed brown sugar--1/3 cup granulated sugar--1 Tbs. cornstarch(or 2 Tbs flour)--1 tsp, cinnamon--1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix together well and set aside for about 10 minutes. --Line 9 inch pie pan with bottom crust--add apples--place several pats of butter over apples---Put top crust on pie--seal edges. Bake in 425 degree oven(preheated) for 40 to 50 minutes. Apples should be tender when you pierce them with a fork. I hope this works for you. Judy in Alabama

What is the best type of apple to use in making an apple pie?

By Elaine from Berwick, ME

I've been told Granny Smith's are the best for making home made apple pies because they don't get mushy.

I agree with Lorelei, Granny Smith's are the best. They hold their shape after cooking and they lend a wonderful sweet/tart flavor to the pie. I have used other apples but the Granny Smith's are my favorite.

My Mom always uses 3 different types- 2 granny smiths, 2 pink lady (pink crisp) and 2 of what ever kind suits her fancy that day (Macintosh). She says the different tastes and textures make for a more interesting and delicious pie.

I think Pippin Apples are the best. If you can find them. If I find a pie made with Pippin Apples I will buy it. They are the best.

I like to use Golden Delicious apples! They hold their shape while baking yet are sweeter and become a little softer than Granny Smith.

I can't get logged on, and am wondering how long to cook a homemade 8 cup crumbled crust apple pie and at what temperature? Does it need to be thawed first?

Joyce W.

Answers

An oven temp. of 425F for 50 - 60 minutes should do the trick. No need to defrost, but cover the top with foil should the crumbs start to burn near the end of baking time. Good luck.