My Frugal Life - Growing Up Frugal

Growing up in a family of 5 you didn't have to learn to be frugal, it was a given. A lot of our clothes were bought at garage sales and my mom even made some. Most new clothing was gotten at the beginning of the school year, Christmas and Birthdays. My Frugal Life

Cakes and cookies were usually homemade and meals of spagetti, goulosh, etc were big in our house. Anything that was cheap to make, went far and filled you up. Vacations were rarely taken. Camping was done a fair amount as it was inexpensive to do. But don't get me wrong, we had the things we needed, just not a lot of extras.

When I became a single parent with no support coming in from the "ex" and 3 kids I found myself being frugal once again and that has just become a way of life for me and ya know, I don't mind it a bit. I prefer to hit goodwill or a garage sale before I go to retail store to buy something. And if I can get something on sale and save a little money, I think that's a good thing! I have learned and taught my kids that you don't need the expensive things in life to be happy.

IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Very similar to my story... Thanks for sharing.

"I have learned and taught my kids that you don't need the expensive things in life to be happy."

So true...

becoming frugal is now a learning matter since i am on disability and both my son and i live for the thrift stores and garage sales ssince that is where his clothes came fom when i was first separated and things has not much change nor my sons attitude growing up

Her's my story. I grew up on beans and cornbread, eating meat was rare. I always said "when I grow up I'll never eat another bean". But I cook them often. We went barefooted all summer and got new shoes when school started back. Clothes came from other peoples trash (my dad drove a garbage truck) or they were made from flower sacks. I went to school with no lunch and my Dad would borrow money from co-workers and bring a few cents to school for my sister and two brothers to eat. Mostly french fries as that's all the money would buy.

Toys were paper dolls made from catalogs and large appliance boxes were play houses. I think back now and know we were poor but we had so much fun from the things and toys we made our selves. I don't remember where/how we got bicycles but I do remember repairing the chains when they broke. We made do or done without.

My Dad died at the early age of 44 and matters became worse but somehow me managed to survive. All the struggles made me the strong, frugal and successful person I am today; although I am now retired.

Frugal Family With Girl Holding Piggy Bank
Frugal Parenting Tips and Tricks
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 11, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Red Hatter
Red Hat Society Club Ideas
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎉
🎄