My Frugal Life: Make It Do Or Do Without - Categories:

My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life: Make It Do Or Do Without

I was raised during the depression by my maternal Grandparents. We had to be saving and making do. "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". I'm 76 now and I still make do a lot of the time. I still do things the "OLD TIMEY" way.

I clean glassware and windows with vinegar water and I Patch DH's clothes. Gee, I don't know where to start! Thriftiness just comes naturally to me. Maybe I should start giving out thrifty ideas to everyone! (smile!)

Evelyn from Cross Plains, IN

Editor's Note: That's what ThriftyFun is all about. Sharing thrifty ideas so everyone can take advantage of the benefits that a frugal lifestyle affords people. If you have any ideas to share, feel free to submit them on the contest page.

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

my aunt and family is the same way. but my aunt that was teaching me passed away before she could teach me a lot of the crafts and recipes. but she taught me to shop. i went into a store and it tallys your savings and i saved over 90 dollars on food and groceries for a long time. but i would really hope maybe you can teach me some of the things that were not given to me. please e-mail me and let me know if you are willing. me address is tlcdsfit AT yahoo.com please write on it depression era lessons. darcey

I am fascinated by all the old ways. Unfortunately my Grandma just passed away in Nov. and there was so much knowledge there that I didnt learn. I will say like the other writer, if you would like to share your wisdom, I would be an eager student.!! My email is Lmm3880 @ hotmail (dot) com Thank you for your time.

Evelyn,

I for one would love to hear all of your ideas. I wasn't raised to waste anything but I'm sure you know things that I was never taught. Please share.

Ronda

I just got married and would love to hear some of your thrifty tips Evelyn. If you wish to share please email me at aprilbug29 AT yahoo.com. Thank you so much!

April

Editor's Note: Because ThriftyFun serves many people, please share them with all of us by sending them in on the contest form. Then you also have a chance of winning $25.

Evelyn, Please share your knowledge and experiences with us. If you do not share now, all the knowledge may be lost for the next generations.

Thank you!

Kind regards

I'm very happy to see your advice. Unfortunately, I was raised with the attitude that waste was no big deal. Now I'm pulling against 40-odd years of that attitude and learning frugality and attempting to be "green" at the same time. Please advise us!

Thanks,

Viv

Thank you, Evelyn. I have always tried to be a frugal person and still am. I used to save almost everything in case I can use it to make something new out of it. I finally started to get rid of stuff and it feels good but you know what? The other day I was trying to improvise something. I was looking for a part and found I threw it out. I just chuckled to myself. I love learning new things and passing them on. Show us what you got! Thanks!

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 25, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Flapper Woman With Martini
Making a Flapper (1920s) Costume
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 9:22:18 AM on 10.0.0.160 in 896 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.