Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Hair Conditioner

I'm looking for something that is natural and contains no harmful ingredients, even if the finished product is not "thrifty". Mayonnaise isn't working very well for me and I've already tried olive and coconut oil. Any help would be appreciated.

By Bella S. from Forks, WA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Anonymous [848]08/06/2009

For a regular (can use every day) type of conditioner 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per 1 cup water is an excellent ph balancing conditioner. You can apply, let set a minute or two and rinse or you can leave it in. And, no, your hair won't smell like vinegar once it's dry ;-)

By it's.only.me [165]08/06/2009

Hair Conditioner

1 egg
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Use like a shampoo; rinse out. Shampoo and condition as usual.

By Frances Adams [11]08/05/2009

You could also try Equate Body Oil. It is similar to the Neutrogena bath oil. Warm a little in the micro, rub thru wet hair. Take your shower, then shampoo as usual. Then after you towel dry your hair, rub a little more of the oil between your hands, and rub that through your hair. It is made of sesame oil. I am sure you could also try the sesame oil in the oriental food aisles, or in the cooking oil section. The Equate oil is not expensive, and if it doesn't work for your hair, you can always use it in or after the bath, for dry skin. I have found that it is using it both before shampooing, and then after that helps the most. And it has a wonderful light scent.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fantastic Homemade Hair Conditioner!

I tried out this tip that I'd hear years ago, and the results have been amazing. Simply glop mayonnaise through your hair, mix it through and cover with either plastic cling wrap or a plastic shopping bag wrapped tight. After half and hour I washed it out. (Due to the egg content of the mayonnaise, be sure not to use hot water). My hair is so silky and soft, it's unbelievable!

By Cathy

Feedback:

RE: Fantastic Homemade Hair Conditioner!

This also works for head lice. (10/22/2004)

By dsbaby14

What mayonnaise is used? the sweet or the salty one? (02/21/2006)

By sharon

Archive: Homemade Hair Conditioner

Here's an economical way to bring life back into your hair using a homemade Organic Hair Conditioner: Mash one banana with 2 TBSP. of olive oil until smooth. Apply generously throughout your hair. Cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes. Follow-up with a shampoo and rinse.

By Marnita from Cumming, GA

RE: Homemade Hair Conditioner!

I am a cosmetologist. I never tried this remedy but I'm sure it will work. Banana has lots of benefits for skin too. (10/12/2007)

By Amiee

RE: Homemade Hair Conditioner!

It does not work. I got banana all over my hair and couldn't get rid of it. (01/24/2008)

By Helen

RE: Homemade Hair Conditioner!

As a kid I had very long hair and my mother always used mayonnaise on my hair. Works good to detangle too. She would also rinse my hair with flat beer. Said it made my hair shine. (05/07/2008)

By Heather

RE: Homemade Hair Conditioner!

I tried the mayo one with low fat mayo, don't bother unless you're using the real deal, it's the fat that makes the hair shine. (08/14/2008)

By Kate

My Homemade Hair Conditioner

My daughter and I use this on our natural hair. It's my grandmother's secret that kept everybody's hair very beautiful in my family.

Real mayonnaise (a good amount depending on hair length)1 tablespoon of pure olive oil, 1 tablespoon of pure honey, 2 eggs. Mix in a bowl then put on your hair from root to tip. Cover with shower cap for 30-45 minutes. Then rinse out and style. You will be amazed. (01/18/2009)

By MARSHAMILLIONS

RE: Homemade Hair Conditioner!

I have very long curly dry hair. I blend up a banana and avocado with a little olive oil. The key I think to getting it out is don't mash it puree it in a blender. (07/17/2009)

By KILIKI29