Seasonal Flag Care and Tips

I like to display one of the larger decorative banners on the flagpole on my porch for all the seasons, holidays and occasions. They're nylon, nearly indestructible, and can be washed in the washer when they get dusty. But after a season or two (especially the summer ones), they become faded and the vibrant colours aren't as nice. Here are a few idea for dealing with your seasonal banners:

• First, when your banner is still new, Scotchguard it. Buy a can of Scotchguard just about anywhere, and spray both sides. It will protect it from most of the elements ( besides sunshine ), and make it easy to wipe off various things, but doesn't help much if birds like your flag.

• I purchased a number of skirt hangers to keep them organized. Each holds six, and can be hooked together. By hanging the different banners from the clips, I can hang them in the coat closet, and quickly see 12 flags at a time.

• When they begin to lose their bright colours and you want to replace it, but have become attached to the faded ones and can't bear to throw them away, you can enjoy them a little longer. They're pretty large but lightweight, so I washed one that I was very fond of, and put it in the picnic basket. I use it as a tablecloth on the concrete tables at rest areas. Lots of folks have come over to our picnic to comment about it, and we've met some nice people. And of course, if something should be spilled, it can be wiped right off - the Scotchguard helps, but so does the fact that it's nylon - or can be tossed right in with your laundry.

• At picnics and family reunions, it can be spread across all the dishes of food while everyone is eating - to keep out flies and dust.

• It can be placed under a group of potted plants that have been gathered together for watering while on vacation, to protect the floor.

• And in case of emergency, if you should be keeping one in the back of the car, you can use it to spread on the ground by the car in the unfortunate instance that you have to crawl underneath, or change a tire.

• You can spread one over the leather seats of a car when it's been baking in the sun, and is too hot to sit on.

By Lady Eleanour from The Rocket City