Make a Microwave Shelf

I don't have much counter space, so when I knocked off the umpteenth cup of coffee while trying to open the microwave, I said "that's enough"!

I had four cans of fruit juice that I transferred to other containers. After the tops were off, and cleaned, I hot glued on some fabric to match my kitchen. Contact paper, wallpaper, scrapbooking paper, or paint will also work.

I found a great board just the right size, and lifted everything up. Underneath, I place a basket that is perfect for my teas, cocoas, and ciders. If you need more counter space, you can do something similar. Hope this helps!

Sandra, Hey! Whatever works for you.

Good thinking. Joyce

Sandra, I love your shelf, but I couldn't help but smile at your closing. Poor but Proud. You go girl! I love that attitude. If I didn't have a poor childhood, I certainly wouldn't have the values I have as an adult. Hold that chin up!

Misty

I like your shelf.. it is great, but I love you closing statement. Poor but Proud. It really made me smile. I grew up in a poor but proud family. It made me the well centered successful person I am today.

BellasMom

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the sweet compliments!!

If I thought I could do as good a job as Susan, I would start a website like this for people who can't think of things to do to save money.

It's like when I look at something, my brain just goes to "hmmm...how could I do that for less"??

I remember once my sister in law and I went shopping. She paid 30.00 for a pair of jeans (a lot in Coos Bay, OR in 1979...). We stopped at a yard sale, and I bought 15 pair for the same price.

My parents were never rich, but they made do. I do things like buy afghans for 3.00 and unravel 30.00 worth of yarn. I buy craft supplies, clothes, books, magazines, movies, shoes, housewares, and almost everything I own is either new and used at thrift shops. I find baskets that someone tossed because some of the webbing started to come off the handle...take it home and cover it with ripped country fabric and buttons and bows at each end, and no one knows where it came from.

Once, I bought a yellow formal for .10...Yes, just one dime. When I got done, I had 4 yards of lace, 14 pearlesent buttons, a zipper, and a rhinestone pin from the neckline!

That is why I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

I finally have people like me who can appreciate my frugality...oh heck...I am downright CHEAP!!!

Keep your eyes peeled. I just put on 9 HOME MADE ORNAMENTS that will no doubt be spread over several weeks. They will be in crafts, so Enjoy!!

Sandi/Poor But Proud!!

This sounds great. I'm going to try it. Thanks!

Another poor but proud Sandi

Wow! I'm also a Bella's Mom!

Great idea. I am going to use your ideas.

Good idea Sandra. I have also used this idea in deep cupboard shelves where a lot of headspace is wasted.

Thanks Sandra, Great idea. I feel I should have thought of that myself as I've also lost a few breakables along the way. The containers wrapped in matching fabric is an extra bonus to a great idea. Sarita

I love this posting and all the comments. You guys are the reason why I LOVE Thrifty Fun!

I can't wait to make a shelf just like this one.

Awesome idea and thanks for sharing!!! I, too am poor but proud! Being frugal sure can be fun sometimes!!

Simple, ingenious. I like it.

Thank you so much for this important suggestion. I have a similar problem and now I have a solution now thanks to you!

My sister is short and has short arms making it hard for her to reach the kitchen cabinets. She bought 2 shoe racks that are actually just a shelf and put them on the back of her kitchen counter. You can stack them or put them side-by-side. She puts items she uses often on them.. sometimes cups, sometimes canned goods, etc. My son in law liked the idea so much that he bought one of those shoe racks like she used and put it on top of the top shelf in their coat closet. he doubled the amount of space for gloves, hats, umbrellas etc. Look for these "shoe" racks in Walmart or Kmart type stores. they were intended to be used on the floor of a clothes closet as a shelf to hold shoes!

Organizing KitchenOctober 23, 2008
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
microwave
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
🎉
🎄